Professional Development Resources for Students

Graduate School Entrance Exam & Professional Licensure Program – designed to assist MSU Denver students looking to further their education and career preparation by covering the cost of graduate school entrance exams and certification or licensure exams/courses (including the ASWB exam).

Online Professional Development Program – developed to support students looking to participate in professional development opportunities during the COVID-19 pandemic by offering financial support for students participating in online professional development events.

Social Work Licensure Requirements by State

The MSW Program at MSU Denver prepares you for professional licensure in Colorado. If you will be seeking licensure outside of Colorado, please use the following resource as a starting point to ensure the MSW Program at MSU Denver will meet the specific requirements of that state. Detailed information about licensing exams can be found on the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) website.

This resource was last updated June 2022. If a link is broken or no longer leads to the correct site, please notify us at [email protected]

LSW and LCSW Licensure in Colorado

Last Updated April 2022

The licensure process for social work is complex with many moving parts to track. Please refer to the licensure flow chart developed by the Colorado Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) for a step-by-step walkthrough of this process. If you would prefer to watch a video presenting this information, you can watch the recording of the MSU Denver Office of Field Education Virtual LCSW Licensure Event from Spring 2022.

The NASW-CO (National Association of Social Workers, Colorado Chapter) website offers more information on this process. They also provide Jurisprudence Exam Help resources. Other general information can be found on the MSW Guide website.

Forms for licensure can be found on the DORA (Department of Regulatory Agencies) website. MSU Denver’s MSW Program is an approved program by DORA and all graduates are eligible to apply for licensure.

For questions or more information, visit DORA (Department of Regulatory Agencies) and ASWB (Association of Social Work Boards). You can also email DORA at [email protected] with any questions about the process.

If you are still having difficulty navigating the licensure process after exploring the resources and contacts above or need assistance in completing licensure forms, please contact [email protected].

School Social Work Licensure

MSU Denver’s MSW Program curriculum has been approved by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) to offer curriculum towards the special services license endorsed in school social work. There are special and additional requirements that must be met during and beyond the MSW degree. Please use this resource as a guide. For questions or more information, please visit the CDE website or review their school social work guidelines here.

CDE Application and Form Verification Process

To start the application process, visit the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) at

Students who are applying for school social work licensure and need to obtain signatures on official forms for the licensure process should submit the Approved Program Verification form to the Graduate Advising Services Coordinator, Claire Alfus, at [email protected]

TEE (temporary educator eligibility) Authorization Application

If you have a job lined up or are presently employed in a Colorado public school district or charter school as a school social worker yet still need to meet the coursework requirements, or if you need to take and pass a Colorado State Board of Education-approved school social work exam (i.e. Clinical, Advanced Generalist, or Master’s exam only), you will need to complete and submit a TEE (temporary educator eligibility) authorization application.

Upon approval, this authorization will allow you to serve as a school social worker while you pursue the coursework or pass the content exam. Your employing school district and the college/university through which you are completing the coursework will need to sign the TEE authorization form, which you will include in the application along with copies of your bachelor’s and master’s degree transcripts. (If you need only the content exam, you may leave section B of the form blank and upload a copy of a screen shot of your exam registration verification).

School Social Work Jobs

The Colorado School Mental Health Advisory Council has created a School Psychology and School Social Work Available Positions Matrix to help potential candidates locate available jobs in the state. The matrix includes available positions for school psychologists and school social workers in Colorado with additional details regarding the positions (location, number, contact person, application instructions, etc.). Because the matrix is voluntary, it will not encompass all the available positions in the state.

Addiction Counselor Licensure Resources (CAS/CAT/LAC)

For questions or more information, please visit the DORA (Department of Regulatory Agencies).

All CAC/LAC coursework at MSU Denver is currently located within the Department of Human Services and Counseling.

For more information about the process of becoming an addiction counselor, please read through the Certified Addiction Counselor Clinical Training Program Handbook (March 2022)

  • If you have a high school degree only, please refer to page 14 of the handbook
  • If you have a bachelor’s degree only, please refer to page 15 of the handbook
  • If you are working on your MSW degree, please refer to page 16 of the handbook

If you have more questions about the addiction licensure process in Colorado, please contact [email protected]