Office of Equal Opportunity
MSU Denver Values Equity
Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver, the University) is committed to maintaining environments that are welcoming, safe, and accessible, where all students, staff, faculty, visitors, guests, vendors, contractors, and others can study, work, and/or recreate free from discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying, consistent with University policies, and relevant State and Federal Law. The Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) is the primary civil rights compliance office of MSU Denver. It seeks to:
- Ensure compliance in all programs and activities of the institution; and,
- Assist in maintaining safe and welcoming environments, free of discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic violence, and stalking.
OEO’s role is to:
- Carry out prompt and effective investigations of complaints alleging all forms of discrimination, including sexual misconduct and retaliation;
- Provide guidance to supervisors;
- Conduct training;
- Engage outside compliance agencies; and
- Coordinate Title IX obligations.
OEO encourages all members of the MSU Denver community to report all potential violations of the Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Title IX and Retaliation Policy (the Policy); and the safeguard the safety and wellbeing of the University community.
OEO is MSU Denver’s central intake and referral office for complaints from students, faculty, staff, administrators, and visitors to campus who allege a violation of the Policy. OEO is a neutral fact finder. It conducts interviews, gathers facts, weighs the evidence, assesses the credibility of witnesses, and ultimately makes findings of fact, upon which it will conclude whether the Policy was violated. OEO then sends an investigative report to relevant supervisors for resolution of the complaint.
*See the entire Discrimination, Sexual Misconduct, and Retaliation Policy
Guidance and Assistance
- Guidance to supervisors, faculty, employees, and students;
- Information and consultation to complainants and respondents, as appropriate.
OEO oversees the administration of the following online trainings required of all MSU employees on:
- Harassment & Discrimination Prevention;
- Accommodating Disabilities;
- Accommodations Under the Americans with Disabilities Act;
- Bullying in the Workspace; and
- Checkpoint Data
For more information, click HERE.
OEO’s Executive Director, as MSU Denver’s Title IX Coordinator, also is responsible for coordinating Title IX compliance across the University community. Title IX is a Federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.
State and Federal Compliance
OEO communicates with state and federal government agencies regarding compliance issues, as needed.