Sometimes you need a little help...

…and we are here to help. This page provides how-to’s, tutorials, videos and information on how to register for classes to requesting transcripts to applying for graduation and more.

How do I...

What is a Degree Progress Report (DPR) and how does it help me?

The Degree Progress Report helps you keep track of your degree requirements for your currently declared program(s) and how you are completing them. Your academic department may have department-specific resources for you, too.

On a DPR you will also find your grades, GPA, catalog year, and information about any transfer credit counting toward your degree and how it applies to your currently declared program. If you have questions about how transfer credit is or is not being counted – reach out to an advisor.

Quick Tip

It’s important to remember that the DPR isn’t considered an official MSU Denver transcript or record of completed coursework. It is an advisory guide and may not reflect completed information until the final graduation check. Changing your schedule, catalog year, repeating a course, completing a course with less than the minimum required grade, changing a major, minor, or concentration, or any other changes to the academic record may impact the information reflected on the DPR. This is why it is important to check in with an advisor and review the information together.

Didn't catch all that information? Review the Degree Progress Report Infogram

Don’t worry, we know it’s a lot to take in. Check out the Degree Progress Report Infogram to go at your own pace.


What to do when you receive an Auto-Reply

So you received an auto-reply from your Professional Academic Advisor…now what?


While we are away, follow these Do’s to get the best response time and service as possible.

Check out the common requests section on this page – We have provided answers, links and the resources to common requests you may have. Look at you, finding the answer to your question all on your own!

Know that we are getting to your messages as quickly as we are able – Keep in mind, unless you received a failed message alert, we received your email so sending additional emails on the same thread might slow down our response times. We really appreciate your patience as we work our way through our inboxes.

Pro-tip: If it’s been more than a couple of days and you haven’t heard back or you haven’t been able to find an answer on your own, it might be a good idea to send a follow-up email.

Always use your MSU Denver email address – Your MSU Denver email address serves as your “official” form of communication with us. Please use this email address so we get to your email sooner. Otherwise, we might miss it.

Include your Student ID number on your email messages – To serve you to the best of our ability and to locate your file as quickly as possible, we suggest you always include your Student ID number in your email messages. This number may begin with something like 900, 901, etc.

Pro-tip: Memorizing this number will make the process quicker when you use services or visit resource offices across campus.

View your Professional Academic Advisor’s availability and schedule an Appointment through Navigate – Unfortunately, we cannot receive appointments through any system other than Navigate. In Navigate, you can view your professional academic advisor’s availability and make an appointment that fits everyone’s schedules. If you can’t find a time that works, let us know.

Common Requests

While we are away or responding to other requests, check out these commonly asked questions to see if you can find your answer.

Commonly Asked Questions and Answers

College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

We are CLAS

Temporary Campus Location (March 16-August):

1041 9th Street Park

Mailing Address:

Campus Box 37
P. O. Box 173362
Denver, CO 80217-3362




[email protected]

Contact Us