More from this office:

Q:  What is the difference between a course drop and a course withdrawal?

A:  A course drop occurs when you remove yourself from a course before or during the add/drop period. There are no academic consequences for this action, but there may be financial aid repercussions for this drop if you no longer meet aid qualifications. The course will show on your registration history as dropped but will not post on any unofficial or official transcripts and does not count as attempted credit.

A withdrawal from a course occurs when you remove yourself from a course after the drop period has passed.

The academic consequences for this action include receiving the grade of W for the course, which will appear on any unofficial or official transcripts. A grade of W will not impact your GPA and does not count as completed credit toward your degree.



Q: Why would I consider withdrawing?

A: We recognize some students are faced with extreme hardships during the COVID-19 pandemic and we want to allow students additional flexibility and options for the affected semesters. We encourage all students to work diligently to complete their coursework and earn academic credit this term, as they are able. For students who are unable to complete coursework due to the current circumstances, extension of the withdraw deadline allows flexibility and the option to avoid negative academic consequences (grades).




Q: How does a withdrawal (W) impact my GPA? What about my future prospects, such as graduate school applications or job opportunities? 

A: A W notation has no designated GPA and will not count in your overall GPA; however, it will impact your completion rate which is used to calculate your eligibility for financial aid.  You should also consider that a W notation will be on your official transcript.  While you must weigh the decision to withdraw on your current circumstances, academic or faculty advisors might be able to help you understand if W notations impact your future prospects.




Q: If I withdraw, will I get a refund of my tuition and fees?

A: No.  A withdraw does not mean you will get a refund or your tuition and fees.  If you withdraw from a class, you forfeit the tuition and fees you paid for the class.




Q: Can I still appeal to have my tuition and fees reimbursed if I withdraw?

A: To request a reimbursement of tuition and fees due to extenuating circumstances is referred to as a Tuition and Fee Appeal.  You can find more information on Tuition and Fee Appeals here.




Q: How can I withdraw from my classes?

A: Please visit the Registrar’s website for Drop and Withdraw Instructions.



Q:  If the course I want to withdraw from has a co-requisite class, am I required to withdraw from both?

A:  No. Each course is treated separately.  For example, if you are registered in BIO 1080 General Biology 1 and BIO 1090 General Laboratory 1 you can withdraw from one and complete the other.



Q: What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw from my classes?

A: Withdrawing from one class or all classes can impact your Financial Aid.  You may want to speak with a Financial Aid representative to see how a withdraw will affect your financial aid award or eligibility for financial aid.  For more information, you can also refer to Financial Aid’s Withdraws: What if I Withdraw webpage.



Q: If I submitted and was approved for a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal to have my aid reinstated this term, will a withdraw impact my eligibility for aid in the future?

A: In this case, a withdraw may impact your financial aid status.  It is important to talk to a Financial Aid representative if you are in this situation and need to withdraw from courses.  A withdraw (W) does not count for academic credit and will count against your completion rate, which is one of the measures of Satisfactory Academic Progress.  For information on how Satisfactory Academic Progress is impacted by a withdraw visit the SAP website.



Q: What is the difference between an administrative withdraw (AW) and a withdraw (W)?

A: An administrative withdraw is available to students who experienced extenuating circumstances which did not allow them to withdraw by the published withdraw deadline May 15, 2020.  However, an AW and W have much of the same effect on your academic record and neither count for academic credit.  An administrative withdraw requires an appeal.  If the withdraw deadline has passed and you need to appeal for an administrative withdraw visit the Registrar’s forms website.




Q: If I need to withdraw, can I do so for individual courses, or must I withdraw for the entire term? 

A: You may withdraw from individual courses and you may opt to withdraw from multiple and/or all courses, if your circumstances call for it. We encourage all students who are able to complete the courses that they can and earn the academic credit associated with the course(s). A withdrawal (W) results in no academic credit being granted.  It is recommended that you speak with your academic advisor about your options, as they are here to support you in making a decision.