Alternative Licensure Program
ALP 1 General Education
The Alternative Licensure Program General Education (ALP 1) includes professional coursework, classroom observation, and coaching designed for candidates teaching Early Childhood Education through 12th grade. Please note: Only candidates teaching general education qualify for ALP 1, ALP 2 or ALP 2 MAT. Special Education teachers must enroll in ALP SED or ALP SED MAT.
PRIOR TO ENROLLMENT
ALP 1 Candidates must:
- Document a minimum of 2 years of previous, full-time, contracted teaching experience in an accredited public, private or charter PK-12 school in the United States
- Have teaching experience as the “teacher of record” for the classroom. Paraprofessional and substitute experience will not be counted towards the 2-year minimum requirement
- Know that the 2-year minimum requirement also needs to be in the same content area and/or level as the content area and/or level in which you will be receiving your teaching license
- Have been hired as a full-time teacher in any Colorado Front Range public school district, public or private charter school, or accredited private school
- Meet the Colorado Department of Education ALP Requirements
- Attend a Summer Portfolio training in late July
- Attend MSU Denver ALP 1 classes and complete ALP 1 coursework
- Complete a Teacher Work Sample and Portfolio
- Demonstrate proficiency on all Colorado Teacher Quality Standards
- Complete 225 hours of contact time with support team
- Face-to-face coaching
- Face-to-face with some online classes
MSU Denver course curriculum content covers strands important to the development of an effective teacher. They include:
- Classroom discipline
- Classroom management
- Short and long range planning
- Unit and lesson plans, implementation
- Comprehensive assessment
- Differentiated Instruction
- Current issues in education
- ALP 1 Teacher Candidates are required to attend a Summer Portfolio training class in late July.
- During the school year classes are held every Tuesday.
- Classes are face-to-face with some online.