Alternative Licensure Program
We offer five programs leading to teacher licensure
Why is the Alternative Licensure Program (ALP) needed in Colorado?
- The Colorado General Assembly recognizes that many school districts often struggle to find qualified individuals to teach their students.
- As a result, the General Assembly passed legislation that permits individuals with experience in areas other than public school teaching to teach under state regulations for Alternative Licensure Programs.
- These programs provide opportunities for people from various educational backgrounds and walks of life to become teachers. They have opened doors to teaching for minority candidates, persons from other careers, the military, and liberal arts higher education.
Who becomes an ALP Teacher Candidate?
- The ALP is designed for people who want to teach and who possess a Bachelor's Degree, but have not completed an educator preparation program.
- MSU Denver ALP Teacher Candidates who have applied for an Alternative License from the Colorado Department of Education and have been hired as a full-time teacher in any Colorado Front Range area public school district, public or private charter school, of accredited private school.
What can I expect, as a Teacher Candidate, in the program?
- Receive face-to-face coaching
- Full-time teaching experience while in program
- Attend face-to-face and online classes
- Upon successful completion of the program, Teacher Candidates can apply for an Initial License for teaching in Colorado provided they have met all of the State requirements.
ALP = an acronym for the entire Alternative Licensure Program at MSU Denver
Gen Ed = Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K) to Grade 12 education
ALP 1 = One-year version of the ALP
ALP 2 = Two-year version of the ALP
ALP SED = Two-year program, Special Education Licensure Program (for ages 5-21)
ALP 2 MAT = Two-year program, Master of Teaching in Elementary Education (Pre-K to Grade 12)
ALP SED MAT = Two-year program, Master of Teaching and Special Education Licensure (for ages 5-21)