Get it in writing!
Do you want to say what you really mean? plan and organize a writing project? document source material? avoid plagiarism? make writing less stressful? learn how to proofread your work?
Get help at any stage of a writing project, from finding a topic to organizing the content to producing the final draft.
We work with writers in all areas of study, at all levels, in all stages of their writing processes, and with all types of writing projects. The Writing Center offers students resources for developing as writers and thinkers, sharing their work and ideas, and receiving thoughtful feedback on work in progress in a practical, friendly, collaborative environment. In our humble opinion, all students would benefit from working with a writing advisor.
We can help you with
- essays and research papers for any class
- senior capstone projects and portfolios
- Honors theses
- Individualized Degree Program rationales
- scholarship essays
- graduate school application essays
- creative writing, including poetry and fiction
- resumes and cover letters
We offer 40 minute consultations and 10 minute Ask a Question sessions. Ask a Question sessions are designed for students to ask one or two simple questions, such as "how should I cite this source?" For all other situations, we recommend a 40 minute consultation.
Please note that if you are a MSU Denver student needing help with writing for a CCD class (such as ENG 060 or ENG 090), you should go to the CCD Writing Center on the fourth floor of the Confluence Building.
Learn more about the Writing Center by viewing our orientation video here.
King Center (KC 415)
Open Aug. 24 - Dec. 9 (closed Labor Day and Thanksgiving week).
Hours: Monday and Thursday 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. / Tuesday and Wednesday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. / Friday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Make an appointment at the King Center location.
Writing Center at the Auraria Library
**located in the Knowledge Market, 1st floor of the Library near the old main entrance - check out this map of the Library Writing Center location
Open Aug. 29 - Dec. 9 (closed Labor Day and Thanksgiving week).
Make an appointment at the Writing Center at the Auraria Library (be sure to select Auraria Library: Denver Campus from the dropdown menu).
Student Success Building (SSB 230)
Open Sept. 6 - Dec. 9 (closed Labor Day and Thanksgiving week).
Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Make an appointment at the SSB location.
Attend one of our interactive workshops to learn about a specific aspect of writing in a group setting. All workshops will take place in the Writing Center’s SSB location (SSB 230G). No reservation necessary—just show up!
- Understanding Writing Assignments. Facilitated by Brenda W. Monday, September 12, 2-3:15.
- Managing a Large Writing Project. Facilitated by Melissa. Tuesday, October 11, 2-3:15.
- Therapeutic Writing: Using Writing to Clear Your Head, Understand Yourself, and Be a Better You. Facilitated by Erienne. Wednesday, October 19, 3:30-4:45.
- Citing Sources in APA Format. Facilitated by Pam. Wednesday, November 9, 3:30-4:45.
- Mastering Grammar and Punctuation Basics. Thursday, February 9, 2-3:15.
- Focusing and Developing Thesis Statements. Monday, March 6, 2-3:15.
- Citing Sources in MLA Format. Tuesday, April 4, 3:30-4:45.