Department of Music
Admission to the Music Program
All incoming students to the Music program must schedule a Music Intake Advising appointment with an Arts Advisor. This appointment must be made prior to signing up for an audition or Music Theory Placement Exam. To schedule this appointment, contact one of our intake advisors:
- Heather Collins, firstname.lastname@example.org, 303-615-0307
- Adriana Kilday, email@example.com, 303-605-7140
All incoming students are encouraged to apply for admission to MSU Denver before setting up their intake advising appointment.
Steps for program admission by student type:
- In order to enroll in private instruction, students must pass an audition demonstrating sufficient prior musical experience on their instrument.
3. OPTIONAL: Sign up for a Music Theory Placement Exam.
- Students with basic music theory knowledge have the option of testing out of MUS 1010 Essentials of Music Theory. The Music Theory Placement Exam is held on the January and August Audition Days.
- Students with little or no basic music theory knowledge should enroll in MUS 1010 Essentials of Music Theory and do not need to take the Music Theory Placement Exam.
In the MSU Denver admission process, students with prior college credit and/or a previous music degree will be required to request official transcripts from all previous colleges/universities. In addition, transfer students must:
- If official transcripts have not been processed by admissions at the time of the intake advising appointment, students are encouraged to bring an unofficial transcript to help determine the need for an advanced audition, Music Theory Placement Exam, and/or Class Piano Exam. Prior private instruction credits, music theory credits, and class piano credits do not automatically transfer.
- Students with previous private instruction credits may audition into an advanced level of lessons. To audition into an advanced level of lessons, students must contact the director of their instrument area prior to Audition Day for additional audition requirements, and must present a list of repertoire studied at the college level and copies of college transcripts to the audition panel on Audition Day.
- All transfer students must take the Music Theory Placement Exam, even if an entire music theory sequence was completed elsewhere.
4. OPTIONAL: Sign up for a Class Piano Exam.
- Students have the option of testing out of any level of class piano, or the entire sequence.
5. Schedule an appointment with the Department Chair to evaluate and transfer music course credits from previous schools. This may be done at any time during the first semester of enrollment. Call the Music office at 303-615-1010 to schedule.
Students who have previously enrolled at MSU Denver are considered returning students.
2. Sign up for an audition if more than one calendar year has passed since enrollment in private instruction.
3. Returning students who completed music theory coursework, class piano coursework, and/or their final semester of required private instruction more than seven years prior to re-enrollment are respectively required to take the Music Theory Placement Exam, Class Piano or Piano Proficiency Exam, and/or audition to test out of the private lesson sequence.
Teacher Licensure/Endorsement in Music
Individuals who already have a music degree and are interested in teacher licensure have some options for obtaining licensure. One is to obtain a second undergraduate degree in Music Education (see Degree Programs for more information). It is also possible to pursue alternative licensure through the Colorado Department of Education. Individuals who wish to take music education classes at MSU Denver must be declared Music Education majors and be formally admitted to the Music Education program.
Individuals who have a teaching license in an area other than music may pursue music endorsement through the Colorado Department of Education. The music endorsement requires a passing PRAXIS score or additional course work in music education. Note, individuals need to be declared Music Education majors and be formally admitted into the Music Education program to obtain the needed credits in the various courses.
All students interested in teacher licensure or an endorsement in Music should contact the Director of Music Education, Dr. Carla Aguilar (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as they apply for admission to MSU Denver. We do not recommend taking any courses at MSU Denver before contacting Dr. Aguilar.