Department of Computer Information Systems and Business Analytics
Changes in the IS Field
As the business world and the IS area have changed, so have the roles and tasks of the IS professionals. They must act as dedicated specialists, internal consultants, and help the organizations to handle the entire interconnected network of suppliers, customers, competitors, communities, local or remote locations, and even virtual worlds.
The constant challenge is how to help more the organization to live, to survive, and to be successful in business in a highly competitive global environment.
Computer Information Systems has been accredited and re-accredited
Bachelor's degree program in Computer Information Systems has been accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, Inc., the recognized accreditor of college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and technology. ABET accreditation demonstrates a program's commitment to providing its students with a quality education.
Accreditation is a voluntary, peer-review process that requires programs to undergo comprehensive, periodic evaluations. The evaluations, conducted by teams of volunteer professionals working in industry, government, academia, and private practice within the ABET disciplines, focus on program curricula, faculty, facilities, institutional support, and other important areas.
One of the key elements of ABET accreditation is the requirement that programs continuously improve the quality of education provided. As part of this continuous improvement requirement, programs set specific, measurable goals for their students and graduates, assess their success at reaching those goals, and improve their programs based on the results of their assessment.
In addition to providing colleges and universities a structured mechanism to assess, evaluate, and improve their programs, accreditation also helps students and their parents choose quality programs, enables employers and graduate schools to recruit graduates they know are well-prepared, and is used by registration, licensure, and certification boards to screen applicants.
ABET is a not-for-profit organization, owned and operated by its more than 25 professional and technical member societies. An internationally respected organization with some 1,500 volunteers, ABET has set the higher-educational standards in its fields for nearly 75 years. More information about ABET, its member societies, and the evaluation criteria used to accredit programs can be found at www.abet.org.
Accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET,
415 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
telephone: (410) 347-7700.
More in-depth information about accreditation can be found at http://www.abet.org/accreditation/
Job Related Sites (recruiters)
Job Related Sites
Part 1: COVER LETTER AND RESUMÉ
- SoYouWanna Write an Impressive Resumé
- This site describes a great approach to getting a resume together. It is written based on the assumption that the reader is either still in college, or has just recently graduated. This is a must for creating an impressive resume.
Job Related Sites
Part 2: JOB SEARCH ENGINES
- This is probably the best known job search engine. They claim to have 445,000 job listings. The site is not specifically tailored to either IT jobs, or college students but the search options are flexible enough to allow customization to most any criteria. You can establish an account, submit multiple resumes, and create an automatic search agent to look for available jobs which match a specified criteria.
- Job Track
- Job Track is tailored specifically to jobs and internships for college students. You can register and post your resume, and participate in other options like job talk message boards, look through job search tips, and so on.
- Jobs are listed from help wanted adds in leading newspapers and from websites of various companies. This could be a great time-saver, allowing job seekers to have the benefit of checking out jobs in newspapers without the tedium of actually going through each paper. It may also be of interest to check out their company profiles. Searches can be by industry categories and location.
- Recruiters On Line
- A network of 8,000 recruiters post their jobs here. This is an association of employment agencies and professionals which assists in posting and broadcasting jobs online. Job seekers can submit their resumes to be included in the database.
- Job Search Engine
- This search engine does a real-time search based on your key word entry. The data base includes both US and Canadian jobs, and they claim great time savings over looking through job boards and career fairs individually. They offer an advanced job search, and this is probably the most appropriate choice.
- 4 Anything's Employment section
- This list of job search engines wouldn't be complete without a reference to 4Anything. Check out their Resume Tips and 4Internships (4Internships... is on the side bar).
Job Related Sites
Part 3: RECRUITERS
- College Recruiter
- College Recruiter is specialized for students and graduates, and the postings are for entry-level, and recent graduates. Included are both part time jobs and internships as well as full time career jobs. It is not specifically for Information Technology, or for Colorado, but search options include Telecommunications, Graphics/Design, and Eng-Internet and searches can be limited to a specific state. Their search page provides additional choices which include Computer & Data Entry, Information Technology, and Telecommunications.
- Oya's Directory of Recruiters
- This page is specific to Colorado, and can be specialized even more to cover "Aurora, Colorado Springs, Delta, Denver, Englewood, Ft Collins, Greenwood Village, and Lakewood. It is a directory of recruiters, and consists of links, each with short sentence by the recruiter or recruiting service.
- Listings of Job-related sites (unappreciated.com)
- Another "mega-" site, which includes lists of Local sites, Corporate sites, College sites, and others. Follow the links; you may find a company or listing which matches your needs. The College sites lists a number of well-known companies as well as recruiters which specialize in college graduates.
- Tom Allen's Site
- A local Colorado recruiter based in Monument, Colorado. This site has job listings for virtually all of the IT skill sets and recruits for well known companies. Job openings include software developer/programmer/engineer, telecommunications, e-Business, etc..
- Metro Information Services
- A national company with a Denver office. You select a city from the drop-down list. The homepage emphasizes that they are an "Information Technology Consulting Services Company", and it doesn't appear that they are specifically cover recent graduates, so this reference may be more for those who have had a previous IT job.
- Sterling Software Technologies, Inc.
- This is a Denver-based company specializing in IT and computer-related disciplines in the Denver metro area and vicinity. They mention permanent and consulting jobs and internships and part-time jobs are conspicuously not mentioned. One assumes that they may not be set up to handle entry-level candidates.