U.S. Department of Education Releases Final Title IX Rule
The U.S. Department of Education released its Final Rule under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs or activities receiving federal financial assistance. In addition to posting the unofficial version of the Final Rule, the Department is releasing a Fact Sheet, a Final Rule overview, a document detailing the major provisions of the Final Rules, and a document highlighting changes between the prior Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and the Final Rule. Additionally, the Office for Civil Rights has released a Webinar describing the Final Rule and many of its features.
The Final Rule is clear, predictable, and effective at ensuring schools have the tools they need to address incidents of sexual harassment in their programs and activities. Under the Final Rule, schools know the importance of responding to such incidents appropriately by supporting survivors, as well as by providing a fair, transparent process for investigating and adjudicating sexual harassment matters. The Final Rule will carry the force and effect of law as of August 14, 2020.
- Title IX Regulations Addressing Sexual Harassment (Unofficial Copy) PDF (6M)
- Title IX: Fact Sheet: Final Title IX Regulations PDF (209K)
- Title IX: U.S. Department of Education Title IX Final Rule Overview PDF (553K)
- Title IX: Summary of Major Provisions of the Department of Education’s Title IX Final Rule PDF (675K)
- Title IX: Summary of Major Provisions of the Department of Education’s Title IX Final Rule and Comparison to the NPRM PDF (706K)
- OCR Webinar: Title IX Regulations Addressing Sexual Harassment (Length: 01:11:29) 05/06/2020
Public Posting of ATIXA Training Materials Link
In response to 34 CFR Part 106.45(b)(10) of the 2020 Title IX Regulations that mandates the public sharing of materials used to train school and college Title IX team members, ATIXA has created the following page which can be used by members and former ATIXA trainees to fulfill this requirement. This page contains links to training materials from January 2018-present for ATIXA Training and Certification Events, select webinars, and online trainings.