PDF Version: Preferred Name Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The MSU Denver Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The MSU Denver Trustees authorize the MSU Denver President to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy encourages students to notify the Registrar’s Office if a student’s preferred name is different from the student’s legal name.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Registrar
- Responsible Office: Registrar's Office
- Policy Contact: Registrar's Office, 303-556-3991
MSU Denver is aware that many of its students use a first name other than their legal name. As part of being a welcoming and inclusive campus, MSU Denver will implement changes to increase the use of the preferred first name. However, a student's legal first name will continue to be necessary in certain records and communications; therefore, both the legal first name and preferred name (if desired) will be stored within primary information systems. To initiate the process to include a preferred first name, the student must complete the Change of Information form with the Office of the Registrar: msudenver.edu/registrar/studentforms/.
IV. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Enacted: November 1, 2016
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.
- Approved By: President