Student Emergency Retention Fund - IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!!
As of 3pm Friday, September 1st 2023, the link to the Emergency Fund will be CLOSED, as all funding for the Fall Semester has been exhausted.
We understand that emergent financial needs still exist and we encourage students to complete a Care Referral in order to get connected to a Case Manager who can assist with reviewing additional resources and supports that may be available.
For all other questions and concerns, please reach out to us at: [email protected] or 303-6115-0006.
In order to be considered for Student Emergency Retention Fund, students must submit the following:
- Online Application
- Personal Statement: include the following:
- Tell us what happened;
- Explain why this was unanticipated;
- Specify the amount and purpose of funds requested; and
- Tell us how this affects your education.
- Documentation of Financial Need/Emergency Timeline: Documentation must demonstrate a current emergency and need. For example, include a copy of an upcoming or overdue bill, a quote for a medical procedure, a dated demand for rent, etc.
Once all submission requirements are met, a representative from the Student CARE Center will contact you as quickly as possible to set up a time to speak. Thoroughly review the requirements listed below before applying.
- Student must be currently taking classes at MSU Denver
- During the summer semester, students must be registered for at least 6 credits for the fall semester if not enrolled in summer classes
- Students must submit a completed online application, a personal statement, and supplementary documents showing financial need
- Students are only eligible to receive this fund once per academic year
- Students must have exhausted all other financial options; this may include Financial Aid Awards (considered on a case-by-case basis)
*All students are welcome to apply, independent of immigration status*
Expenses covered include, but are not limited to:
- Personal medical, dental, or mental health emergencies
- Emergency family medical or death expenses for those that you are financially responsible for (will be considered on a case-by-case basis)
- Safety and health-related needs
- Rent and utilities, in case of emergency
- For example: If you are hospitalized and unable to work, therefore you cannot pay your rent
- Care for dependents
- Costs related to major accidents or loss due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Can cover costs related to one’s immigration case or court hearing
- Books, supplies, and technology will be considered on a case-by-case basis
Expenses NOT covered include, but are not limited to:
- Tuition & fees at MSU Denver, as well as any other expenses at other institutions of higher education
- Veterinary fees
- Legal fees
- Student travel/conference
- Non-essential utilities (determined by Student Emergency Retention Fund Committee)
- Costs of entertainment, recreation, personal, or non-emergency travel expenses
- Outstanding personal debt, including credit card debt
The Student Emergency Retention Fund Committee will request documentation and reserves the right to request receipts.