Department of Health Professions
Health Care Professional Services Major Requirements
The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that there will be 2.3 million new jobs in the health care industry between 2014 and 2024. Based on projections that 60% are from an allied health background, this translates into roughly 1,380,000 new jobs being held by allied health professionals in the United States.
GRADUATES OF THIS MAJOR WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Acquire the skills employers demand in critical areas such as: health disparities, health care systems, health care operation management, health care jurisprudence, health care quality, health care ethics, health care leadership , and public health
- Gain knowledge on current industry insights and the latest trends in health care professional services
- Meet societal and health care delivery demands
- Pursue graduate education in the health care field
- Work in a variety of settings with diverse patients, families, and communities
- Change careers within the industry to work for insurance companies, government agencies, or non-profit associations
- Contribute to the field as diverse professionals assisting in diminishing health disparities and creating a healthier nation
- Students can contact the Department of Health Professions at 303-615-1200
- New or transfer students interested in the major can also seek advising through the College of Professional Studies Advising office at 303-615-1099
- Students who have an associate degree in health occupation may substitute up to 24 hours of selected, approved associate degree major courses in lieu of the minor requirement.
PRIOR LEARNING ASSESSMENT:
- Prior Learning Assessment may be awarded towards your major credits. Please read the information located in the link, if interested.
- Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in all courses required for the major and minor (HCM and all required support courses) in order to progress through the program.
- Courses with grades of less than "C" must be repeated prior to the student taking any other courses for which the first course is a prerequisite.
- It is anticipated that students who complete this Health Care Services degree will seek to stay in the health care industry and advance into positions such as supervisors in clinical/technical disciplines such as x-ray technology or teach in Associate degree clinical/technical programs, or switch within the industry to work for insurance companies, government agencies or non-profit associations.
- The overall curriculum to earn the proposed Bachelor of Science in Health Care Professional Services distributed as follows.
REQUIRED COURSES FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL SERVICES MAJOR (44 credit hours total)
- ITP 1700 (2 credit hours) Medical Terminology **
- HCM 2010 (3 credit hours) Global Health Systems (to meet the Global Diversity requirement)
- HCM 2500 (3 credit hours) Health Care Management Foundations
- ITP 2700 (3 credit hours) Holistic Health
- HCPS 3000 (3 credit hours) Introduction to Patient Navigation
- HCM 3150 (3 credit hours) Health Care Organization and Management *, ** (Pre-reqs 45 credits and General Studies Written Communication and Quantitative Literacy Requirements)
- ITP 3200 (3 credit hours) Ethics in Health Care * (Pre-reqs Completion of General Studies requirements in Written Communication, Oral Communication, and Quantitative Literacy; ITP 1700 and ITP 2700)
- HCM 3700 (3 credit hours) Health Disparities in the U.S. (to meet the Multicultural requirement)
- HCM 3800 (3 credit hours) Long Term Care: Managing Across the Continuum * (Pre-req HCM 3150)
- HCPS 4000 (3 credit hours) Health Care Operations * (Pre-req HCM 3150)
- HCPS 4010 (3 credit hours) Evidence-Based Health Care Delivery * (Pre-req HCM 3150)
TOTAL: 32 Credit Hours
CHOOSE ONE COURSE BELOW
- ITP 1600 (3 credit hours) Herbal Medicine
- ITP 2500 (3 credit hours) Complimentary and Alternative Medical Therapies
- ITP 2810 (3 credit hours) Men Across Cultures
- ITP 2950 (3 credit hours) Wellness Coaching I
CHOOSE ONE (3 CREDIT UPPER DIVISON HOURS) ELECTIVE CREDIT COURSES
- ANT 3480 (3 credit hours) Cultural Diversity in Health and Illness
- HCM 3030 (3 credit hours) Health Care Jurisprudence * (Pre-req HCM 3150)
- HCM 3100 (1 credit hour) Entrepreneurship in Health
- HCM 3200 (2 credit hours) Managing Quality in Health Care
- HCM 3400 (3 credit hours) Human Resources Management in Health Care * (Pre-req HCM 3150)
- HCM 3500 (3 credit hours) Health Care Research Methods *(Pre-req MTH 1210 or PSY 2310)
- HCM 3550 (1 credit hour) Leadership in Health Care *(Pre-req HCM 3150)
- HCM 3600 (3 credit hours) Health Care Information Systems *, ** (Pre-req HCM 3150)
- HCM 3650 (1 credit hour) Public Health Survey * (Pre-req HCM 3150)
- HCM 3651 (1 credit hour) Epidemiology in Public Health * (Pre-req HCM 3150)
- HCM 3652 (1 credit hour) Environmental Issues in Public Health * (Pre-req HCM 3150)
- HCM 3750 (1 credit hour) Professional Practice Management * (Pre-req HCM 3150)
- ITP 3800 - Stress and Sleep: Impact on Health and Disease *(Pre-reqs BIO 1080/1090, BIO 2310 and ITP 3200)
- HSP 3460 (2 credit hours)- Addiction, Immunity, and Infectious Diseases
- ITP 3700 (3 credit hours) Physiology of Aging * (Pre-reqs BIO 2310 and BIO 2320)
- PSY 3270 (3 credit hours) Adulthood and Aging * (Pre-req PSY 1001)
- PSY 3920 (3 credit hours) Women’s Health Issues * (Pre-req WMS 1001 or SOC 1010 or HES 1050 or PSY 1001)
- SOC 3800 - Health and Healers (3 credit hours) * (Pre-req SOC 1010)
- ITP 4100 Women’s Holistic Health (3 credit hours) * (BIO 2320 and ITP 3200)
- ITP 4400 Wellness Coaching II (3 credit hours) * (Pre-req ITP 2950 or HPS 2700; ITP 3850)
REQUIRED COURSE FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL SERVICES MAJOR
- HCM 4610: Senior Experience (6 credit hours) Internship in Health Care Management *
Total Core Credits for Major: 44 credit hours
*Indicates pre-requisite requirement. Check with academic advisor regarding pre-requisite requirement(s).
** Has a Prior Learning Assessment