On-campus, place-based proctoring for online courses - Information for Faculty
As of Spring 2023 the service formerly known as “mostly online” testing continues to be available to offer place-based testing for online courses.
MSU Denver faculty teaching Online courses may use this service:
- For paper/pencil exams used in online courses that require student attendance at a place-based proctoring location. Students may test at MSU Denver’s Office of Testing Services for these exams. Note that faculty must also allow students to test at alternative place-based proctoring locations. Students unable to report to MSU Denver for a place-based exam from an online course must locate a proctoring service in their area; faculty will then correspond with that external proctoring service regarding exam details.
- For students that, for whatever reason, are unwilling to complete an online exam using the virtual proctoring service provided within the online course (usually Canvas/ProctorU). In these cases faculty may offer the student an alternative option to test at the MSU Denver office of Testing Services. Upon request the place-based alternative exam will be made available to all students in the class. Faculty, please consult with Russell Reynolds in Testing Services for questions about this option.
To see a copy of the Online Cover Sheet, please read this page and then click the “Online Exam Cover Sheet” link at the bottom of the page.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR PLACE BASED ONLINE COURSE PROCTORING EXAM SERVICE
The Testing Center is located in the Tivoli Building, Room 347. For additional questions, call 303-615-1700. The Alternative place-based proctoring service for online courses provides a controlled environment for examination proctoring. Only online courses at MSU Denver may utilize this service, and in all cases students must be allowed additional proctoring options such as ProctorU virtual proctoring services or alternative location place-based proctoring services (proctoring at a place-based location other than MSU Denver).
- Submit all Online exams with a completed Online Exam Cover Sheet.
- The Testing Center only allows closed book, closed note, full-length exams (no quizzes). Include any reference material, such as formulas or tables, within the exam.
- When using Canvas for exams, confirm exam settings, dates, and passwords before submitting the Online Exam Cover Sheet. Testing Services does not have access to your course on Canvas and cannot view, alter, change or add any content.
- Deliver only one exam at a time for each course, Testing Services does not allow overlapping exam dates for a course.
- Faculty teaching multiple sections of the same course should turn in only one cover sheet listing each CRN separated by a comma.
- For paper-pencil exams place one exam per student in a single envelope. The top of the first page of each exam must include the following information:
- Instructor’s name
- Space for Student’s name
- Course name CRN prefix
- Test instructions (i.e. calculator allowed)
- Test number or name (i.e. test 1, test 2, midterm)
All exams proctored in the Testing Center must adhere to the following guidelines:
- The length of testing time requested may not exceed the length of the class time block, except during finals week when the time limit is two hours. In no case may exam time exceed two hours in length.
- The Testing Center administers exams according to instructions documented on the Exam Cover Sheet. Include specific instructions to the student on page one of each exam.
- The Testing Center does not provide envelopes or make copies of exams.
- We require students to write their name on each exam for security. Faculty must deliver paper exams to the Testing Services in TV 347.
- For security reasons, do not send exams through inter-campus mail or fax.
- Testing Services will not collect or distribute any additional course materials from students, including homework.
- Inform students of all Testing Center policies.
- Children not permitted in testing rooms. Students may not leave children unattended in the Testing Services lobby.
- Once an exam is on file in the Testing Services, it is the student’s responsibility to schedule an appointment. Students without an appointment may not be able to take an exam.
- Students should arrive at their scheduled time in TV 347 with appropriate testing materials and a picture ID. Students without a valid picture ID may not take an exam.
- If cheating occurs, we will collect all materials and the Testing Center Director will notify the faculty member and the Student Conduct Office.
Once a time slot is full, students will have to select a different day and time. Passwords can be the same for all course sections, but should be changed for each test. This is extra security for your exam. Please be diligent in transcribing the password to us with capitals being CAPITAL and lower case being lowercase.
By following the link below, you are agreeing to the policy and procedures of the Assessment and Testing as prescribed above.