Paving a way to Public Service
MSU Denver’s Institute for Public Service hosts internship programs that help MSU Denver students build pathways to careers in all forms of public service, despite their major or degree path. These internships provide access to public servants and mentors while they build professional networks and expertise.
Watch the YouTube video to learn more about our life changing
Presidential Federal Internship Program
MSU Denver Presidential Federal Internship Program
In collaboration with MSU Denver President, Dr. Janine Davidson, the Institute for Public Service, and the Classroom to Career Hub we are pleased to offer MSU Denver students an opportunity to apply for selective spots in our Presidential Federal Internship Program. The internships offer a unique opportunity to work in multiple facets of public service in Washington, D.C.
Internship opportunities will be identified through MSU Denver supporters and partnerships, and students selected will learn more about these opportunities as they progress in the interview process. Participation in public service-based experiential learning will provide students with the skills necessary to succeed in many career pathways and offer the opportunity to support the governmental process and/or the important work of community organizations.
The summer program will ensure:
- Each student receives up to $6,000 in financial support during their 10-week internship, either through a combination of funds directly from the internship sponsor or MSU Denver
- Round-trip airfare
- A stipend for ground transportation (DC Metro Pass)
- Shared housing in Washington, D.C. for 10 weeks (double/triple occupancy rooms); including a stipend for living incidentals (bedding, towels, etc.)
- Academic credit for the internship (if applicable)
Summer 2024 MSU Denver Presidential Federal Internship Program Application
The Summer 2024 MSU Denver Presidential Federal Internship Program application in now available. The application period will close on Friday, October 20, 11:59 p.m. MT2024 Presidential Federal Internship Program Job Description and Application Instructions
MSU Denver carries a legacy of public service and public service-minded programming. Our students in every department, school, and college serve the public in visible and meaningful ways. The Institute is an all-encompassing structure that provides ALL MSU Denver students with:
- Academic programming and courses focused on public service concepts, theories, and pathways.
- Opportunities to engage with high-profile public servants participating in significant public events, guest instruction, and residencies.
- Cohort-based programs across multiple sectors, focused on experiential learning through a paid internship component, that lead to a micro-credential or certificate.
- A pathway from any discipline or major to meaningful opportunities in the public service sphere.
To qualify for the MSU Denver Presidential Federal Internship Program and other public service related internships, students must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to a public service career
- Current MSU Denver Student
- Eligible for Student Employment at MSU Denver
- Ability to follow directions under general supervision and/or independently
- A passion and commitment to helping others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Time management skills
Spring 2021: Marcia B.
Spring 2021: Grace E.
Spring 2021: Heyward P.
Spring 2021: Callie S.
Spring 2021: Larissa C.
Spring 2021: Jessi K. and Kelly M.
Spring 2021: Brianna S.
Spring 2021: Emma T.
Institute for Public Service
For questions or more information
Shaun LaBarre, Director, Institute for Public Service
Central Classroom 314
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Campus Box 37
P.O. Box 173362
Denver, CO 80217-3362