University Press of Colorado Internship—Acquisitions Editorial
The University Press of Colorado, a non-profit scholarly book publisher, is looking for an intern to aid the acquisitions staff of the press with the editorial tasks involved in signing up new projects.
The intern will assist in the processing of proposals and submissions, sending candidate manuscripts out for peer review, correspondence with authors/potential authors, attending meetings both within the department and across the press, and keeping the press-wide database of projects up-to-date. Interns will also learn about the university press publishing world, the process of evaluating manuscripts for publication, signing authors to contracts, and preparing manuscripts for copyediting and production.
The Acquisitions Intern’s responsibilities may include any or all of the following:
- Writing and sending rejection letters for projects we turn down
- Requesting more information on promising projects
- Peer review, including: inviting manuscript for review, researching appropriate reviewers, contacting readers, and helping process reports and honoraria
- Maintaining and updating the press database
- Assisting editors in manuscript preparation for editorial committee vote
- Assisting with contract preparation
- Preparing and transmitting final manuscripts to editorial, design, and production
- Conducting marketing and editorial outreach research, including looking for promising authors and projects
Skills we value in this position:
- organization, efficiency, and creativity
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- sense of collaboration and the desire to be part of a team
- experience with Microsoft Office products, Zoom, GSuite, Slack, and Box
- strong commitment to diversity, equity, respect, and inclusion
Hours: 10 hours per week. Schedules are flexible depending on the prospective intern’s course schedule.
Location: This internship will be remote, so access to a computer and telecommuting software (Zoom) is required.
Starting Date: First or second week of classes
Duration: 8 weeks
Pay: $18.00 / hour
Application Materials:A resume and a brief Statement of Interest (does not have to be a full cover letter, a paragraph will suffice)) should be emailed to [email protected].
The University Press of Colorado is actively committed to maintaining a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and respect. We seek applicants who, like the press, are interested in building upon and contributing to a larger community that values a culture of learning, appreciation, and diverse identities, lives, and experiences.
We will consider candidates without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, ability, age, or veteran status.
Department of English Contact Information
Campus MapEmail Us with General and Advising Questions
P.O. Box 173362
Campus Box 32
Denver, Colorado 80217-3362