Orientation, Transition, and Retention (OTR)
The university continues to put our community’s health and well-being at the forefront of decision making, especially during the recent events involving COVID-19. Because of that, all Orientation sessions for new summer and fall students are being moved to a fully online format. For information on MSU Denver’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, visit our information page.
Students beginning classes for the Summer 2020 Semester
- All students planning to begin classes for the Summer 2020 semester will be provided with a self-guided Online Orientation.
- Note: all first-time-to-college students are required to meet with an academic advisor for class scheduling. You will receive details on how to schedule your virtual or phone appointment following the completion of the Online Orientation.
Students beginning classes for the Fall 2020 Semester
If you have already signed up for Orientation, you don’t have to do anything different – you will receive an email with more information on how to participate with your Virtual Orientation soon. If you have not yet signed up for an Orientation, please follow the link to sign-up for your Virtual Orientation program.
- First-Time-To-College Students- Virtual SOAR registration is required to be connected with an academic advisor for course registration. If you have already signed up for Orientation, you don’t have to do anything different – you will receive an email with more information on how to participate with your Virtual Orientation soon. If you have not yet signed up for an Orientation, please follow the link to sign-up for your Virtual Orientation program.
- Transfer Students – If you are a new transfer student planning to start classes for the Fall 2020 semester, you have two options for completing your mandatory Orientation requirement.
- Sign-up to Complete a Virtual Transfer Student Orientation. The virtual program will provide you an opportunity to engage virtually with students, faculty, and staff as we present important information related to your transition to MSU Denver. Academic advising and class registration are a component of the virtual program.
- Complete the self-guided Online Orientation experience. This program allows you to complete an Online Orientation on your own time. Following completion of the Online Orientation, you are responsible for following up with campus departments and your academic advisor (if needed) to get any additional information you may need as you transition to MSU Denver.
We provide a variety of programs to serve our diverse student populations. Each of these sessions offer important information to help you experience a smooth transition into MSU Denver as well as opportunities to engage with advising and registration. Note that students must pre-register for our in-person orientation sessions; walk-ins will not be accepted.
First-Time to College Students
First-time to college students are students who are attending college for the first time, whether straight from high school or whenever you feel ready to continue your education (regardless of your age).
Transfer students are students who are currently attending, or have previously attended, a community college or four-year college/university and plan on transferring your completed credits to MSU Denver. Transfer students have the option of completing their orientation experience online or On-campus.
How Orientation Can Help Students
Provide programming to ensure a smooth-transition to MSU Denver including information, resources, and advising and registration
Support students in connecting with appropriate resources
Help you prepare for your orientation session, including registration and day-of details
Answer your questions and or help navigate the beginning of your college experience
Please review the sessions below to see which session is right for you! If you have further questions, please contact us at 303-615-0770 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SOAR (Student Orientation Advising and Registration) Experience is a day-long orientation for first time to college students. The sign up period for theses sessions begin in March and the session dates are May-Early August. New students coming from High School are required to attend one session. Registering for a SOAR Experience is a first-come, first-serve basis. This means that once a session is full, no one else will be able to register for that session and will need to find another one that is available.
Parent, Family, and Guest Orientation
This Orientation session runs concurrently with SOAR. Our program is designed to help family members support their students as they transition from high school to college. To sign up for a session, your student will have the chance to register you as a guest in their SOAR Experience registration. There is no limit to the number of guests who can attend. Please note that this is a full day program with breaks built into your day while your student will be going through their SOAR program. Each guest over the age of 5 will be charged $15.
This session is similar to Family Orientation and is offered completely in Spanish and designed to help family members support their students as they transition to college.When registering for orientation, please look for information about options for this program.
Transfer Student Orientation
Transfer Student Orientations are five-hour sessions designed to meet the needs of our students transferring from other colleges and universities to MSU Denver.
Online Orientation is only offered to transfer students. Online orientation encompasses the same information as a Transfer Student Orientation session in an online format. Online Orientation consists of a series of modules students must complete, followed by a final quiz that students must pass in order to complete the online orientation. Students transferring 0-30 credits from previous institutions are encouraged to attend an on-campus transfer orientation session.
Adult Student Orientation
Adult Student Orientation sessions are five-hour sessions designed to meet the needs of first time to college students over the age of 22.
Veteran Student Orientation
Veteran Student Orientation sessions are day-long programs specifically designed to assist incoming students who are veterans/active military in making a smooth transition into the MSU Denver community.
Fall/Spring/Summer Student Orientation
These sessions are five-hour sessions designed to meet the needs of our first-time, transfer, veteran, and adult students who are attending orientation close to their first term at MSU Denver. These students include those who are admitted later in the season, unable to attend an earlier orientation session, or procrastinated in registering for an earlier session.