Unofficial vs. Official Documents and Transcripts. What's the difference?


In most cases, unofficial documents and/or transcripts are copies or downloads that are easily accessible to the student.

  • Unofficial documents and/or transcripts generally have no associated cost.
  • Unofficial documents are generally required before the listed deadlines, in order to make an admission decision. Official documents will need to be received before classes start at MSU Denver, and ideally before registering for classes.

Upload It

Log in to your admissions application and upload your document(s).

Transfer Students

Unofficial transcripts will not be used for official credit transfer evaluations. You will need to request official transcripts directly from all previously attended institutions.


In most cases, in order for documents and/or transcripts to be considered official, it will need to be sent directly from the issuing school, institution or agency.

  • Sometimes there is a cost associated to have official documents sent.
  • Official documents are generally needed AFTER your initial admission decision is made.

Printed/Hard Copies

All printed or hard copies of official transcripts and/or documents must be received by MSU Denver in an official seal envelope from the issuing school, institution or agency. These can be sent directly to MSU Denver following these instructions.


Official electronic transcripts and/or documents can only be delivered by the issuing institution via email to [email protected]. Forwarded transcripts will not be accepted as official.

Transfer Students

Official transcripts are required for official transfer credit evaluations to determine how your previously earned credits will transfer into your MSU Denver student record.

Why Both?

You can be admitted to MSU Denver by uploading an unofficial copy of your transcripts or scores to your application account. An admissions decision can be made based on the information you reported on your application and unofficial documents when needed. If you’re admitted, prior to attending, you will need to request that your official transcripts or GED scores (and official test scores if applicable) be sent from your school or institution. Transcripts should have a posted graduation date and final grades. Enrollment and financial aid can be impacted if you do not complete this step, so be sure to request them. If you will graduate from your current institution before you begin at MSU Denver, please wait to submit your transcripts until your final grades and graduation date have posted.
If you are an F-1 visa student, you are required to submit official documents for admission. Visit the international admissions page for more information.