Submit your Certification Request after you've registered for classes so we can report your credits to the VA.
VA Benefits Fall 2023 Spring 2024
- Undergraduate full-time rate for VA benefits for Spring 2024 is 12 credits from 1/16/2024 to 5/11/2024.
- Graduate full-time rate for Spring 2024 is credits from 1/16/2024-5/11/2024 .
- Undergraduate full-time rate for VA benefits for Fall 2023 is 12 credits from 8/21/2023 to 12/9/2023.
- Graduate full-time rate for Fall 2023 is 6 credits from 8/21/2023 to 12/9/2023.
- To qualify for the full monthly housing stipend you must be full time with at least one course on campus.
- The course delivery methods that are considered on campus by the VA are the following: In-Person, Hybrid In-Person, Dual Mode: In-Person, Hyflex, SyncFlex, Field Experience, Practicum, and Internships.
- The course delivery methods that are considered online by the VA are the following: Asynchronous Online, Synchronous Online, Dual Mode: Online, and Hybrid Online.
- Self-Paced Asynchronous online method cannot be certified to the VA until after the semester is over and the instructor reports the dates the course worked was started and finished.
- Classes with different start and end dates will affect the housing stipend.
- Benefits are prorated when enrolled less than full time.
- Post 9/11 requires enrollment of greater than half time to receive Monthly Housing Allowance.
- Distance learning courses (online, correspondence, self-paced online) can affect Post 9/11 MHA. Contact us with questions.
- Post 9/11 students need to submit a Certification Request no later than 1/16/2024 for spring 2024 and 8/21/2023 for fall to avoid service fees.
- Tuition does not need to be paid up front when a certification is submitted on time and you can disregard any notice about your balance unless you are less than 100% eligible for Post 9/11.
- Only courses that are required for your degree can be certified.
- Review the important reminders section below.
- The VA pays in arrears (first of the month for the prior month) and prorated for any month in which you are not in class for the full month
- All students must submit a Certification Request after registration for each semester they intend to receive VA payments.
- Only courses that are degree requirements can be certified
- Online remedial courses are prohibited from being certified for VA benefits
- Inform us of ANY registration changes so we can report that in a timely manner and advise you of the impact.
Post 9/11 & Fry Scholarship
- Students in only distance learning courses (online, self-paced and correspondence) are only eligible for Half the National Average of BAH.
- Book stipend is capped at 24 credits for the academic year. If you attend full time in Fall and full time in Spring, you will not receive a book stipend for Summer.
- To qualify for full BAH you must be full time with at least one course on campus or the method of instruction is listed as hybrid.
- Starting with the Spring 2022 semester, you must verify your enrollment monthly to receive BAH payments. Call 1-888-442-4551 to opt into verifying by text message.
- If you attend half time or less you will not receive BAH. BAH eligibility.
- Active Duty members are not eligible for the BAH. If you separate from active duty during the term or applied for benefits prior to separation the VA will need your DD214 to change your status.
- VA Will Not Pay For Any Tivoli Book Store Charges to Your Account
- The VA will pay for the mandatory school health insurance if you are 100% eligble for Post 9/11 GI Bill. Keep the additional insurance even if you already have coverage.
Post 9/11, Fry Scholarship & VR&E
- Once the add/drop deadline passes and charges are solidified tuition and fees will be reported to the VA for Post 9/11 and Fry
- VR&E will be paid by your counselor when they are invoiced after add/drop by the Bursars Office
- The RTD bus pass is an opt-in fee and is not a mandatory fee; therefore, it is not paid for by the VA.
Montgomery GI Bill (Chapters 30 & 1606)
- You must verify your enrollment with the VA
- Verify the last day of the month to release payment
- Call 1-877-823-2378 or visit W.A.V.E to verify enrollment
Current Post 9/11 Payment Rates (100% eligibility)
|* DOD Rate applies to the Post 9/11 GI Bill students who had not previously used their benefits before 1/1/2018.|
These payments are prorated (not a full payment) for months when you are not in class the entire month. (January, May, June, August, December)
For all other benefit types please visit the VA Website
In accordance with section 103, Public Law 115-407, Metropolitan State University of Denver will not penalize or limit the participation of students covered under the Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill ® or Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment while awaiting the payment of tuition and fees by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. The University will not drop covered students for non-payment.
- To be a covered individual, MSU Denver will require the following documentation by the first payment deadline, no later than the first day of the start of the term:
- Certificate of Eligibility; or
- Statement of benefits; or
- VR&E Authorization; and
- Certification Request by the first day of the term.
- If the student fails to request this status by the start of the term, the student will be subject to service charges as stated on the Bursar’s Office website.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site https://benefits.va.gov/gibill