Military service credit is evaluated when official copies of transcripts from military schools are received and after meeting with the Prior Learning Specialist. Courses are evaluated according to the American Council on Education (ACE) Guidelines.
In addition, MSU Denver offers the following package of transfer credit and waivers:
- Either 6 semester hours of lower-division elective credit (MILR 8000) for all students who have served four years active duty in the U.S. military OR 3 semester hours of lower-division elective credit (MILR 8000) for all students who have served two years active duty in the U.S. military.
- 6 additional semester hours of upper-division elective credit (MILR 9000) for students who have either served two terms of service of four years each or attained the rank of E5 or above in the U.S. military.
- 3 credits of CAS 1010 (Public Speaking) for all students who served at least one enlistment and achieved the rank of E5 or above in the U.S. military.
- Waiver of the Global Diversity requirement for all students who deployed abroad in the U.S. military for at least 6 months.
Order and Submit Military Records
Applicable credit and waivers will be granted upon presentation of evidence of either continued active service, transfer to the Reserve component, or discharge under conditions other than dishonorable. Students who have been discharged from active service should submit their form DD214 to Brandy Schooler, Prior Learning Specialist in the Office of the Registrar for evaluation. Credit accepted in transfer may not duplicate coursework previously taken.
- Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and Marine personnel should submit a Joint Services Transcript. To order a Joint Services transcript, go to https://jst.doded.mil/.
- Air Force personnel should submit a Community College of the Air Force transcript. To order a CCAF transcript, go to http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp. Please Note: CCAF is a regionally accredited institution.
- Please note MSU Denver cannot accept transcripts directly from the student. Please have your JST or CCAF sent from those systems to Metropolitan State University of Denver.
Questions? Contact Brandy Schooler, Prior Learning Specialist, 303-605-5574 [email protected]