What is Research & Creative Scholarship?
An inquiry or investigation that makes an original contribution to a discipline, area, question, challenge, or theme.
- Inquiry – pursuit of an answer to a question
- Investigation – a systematic and thorough attempt to learn the facts about something complex or hidden
- Original – new, innovative, or creative
- Contribution – creation and discovery of new knowledge with a goal of sharing these new findings through presentations and performances or in publications
Research & creative scholarship allow you to engage in your field as both students and scholars. You can explore classroom topics further by asking original questions, using the methods of the discipline to find answers, and share that new knowledge with the greater community.
Why Engage in Research & Creative Scholarship?
Many skills you gain by participating in research & creative scholarship are those that will not only help you successfully complete your degree, but help you be successful in any career. Many skills identified as desirable by employers can be developed by engaging in research. Some of the benefits of undergraduate research include:
- Learning a topic in depth
- Clarifying career goals
- Apply classroom knowledge and passion for learning in the real word
- Developing self-confidence
- Building tolerance for obstacles faced in the research process
- Learning to work and think independently as well as collaboratively
- Enhances learning through mentoring relationships with faculty
- Developing critical thinking, creativity, problem solving, and intellectual independence
- Developing analytical and ethical decision-making skills
- Improving oral and written skills
- Learning discipline-specific language, research methodologies, and approaches in your discipline
- Promotes an innovation-oriented culture
- Learning to critically evaluate information
A recent article in US News highlights the importance of undergraduate research:
Why Undergraduate Research in College Matters