TRIO High School Upward Bound Program
In light of the increased impact of Coronavirus, we unfortunately have decided to cancel after-school programming and all upcoming events, including the upcoming Overnight College Visit to Colorado Mesa University and Colorado Mountain College, until otherwise noted. With MSU Denver campus closures, we will not be able to provide on-site support, however, we will be available for students remotely for advising and virtual support throughout the coming weeks. We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you updated if anything changes. Please reach out to TRIO staff with any questions or concerns.
What is Upward Bound?
The TRIO High School Upward Bound program located at the Metropolitan State University of Denver is a federally funded college preparatory program designed to assist low income and first generation college bound high school students by generating the skills and motivation necessary to complete high school and to enter and succeed in a program of postsecondary education. The HSUB Program in Denver has been hosted since 1974 by MSU Denver, one of the nation's premiere urban colleges. Our goal is to generate in program participants the skills and motivation necessary to complete a program of secondary education and to enter and succeed in a program of postsecondary education.
Goals of the Program
Successful students will accomplish the following goals:
- Demonstrate measurable improvement on state standardized tests.
- Gain a sense of career possibilities and opportunities based on seminars, research projects, field trips, and on-campus internships.
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of high school graduation requirements, college admissions and financial aid processes, in addition to Colorado Higher Education Admissions Requirements (HEAR).
- Enroll in a rigorous curriculum.
- Be prepared academically to ensure post-secondary success.
The HSUB Program consists of an academic year component, as well as a mandatory summer component, and a Bridge program for the college bound high school graduates. All program participants are required to attend social, cultural, and educational activities throughout their involvement in the program.
Who can participate?
An individual is eligible for Upward Bound if the candidate:
- Has completed the 8th grade. The DPS target schools are: East, Lincoln, Manual, North, and West.
- Is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Families whose taxable income does not exceed the income level set forth by federal government regulations.
- Has academic potential and needs further enhancement in skill acquisition for mastery in basic skills.
- Has the desire to attend college with the goal of obtaining a four-year degree.
How are students selected?
Recruitment sessions are arranged with a contact person in each of the target schools.
- Potential participants are selected to attend recruitment sessions in their respective high schools.
- Students then complete a program application. (Select from menu on left).
- Selected participants and their parents/guardians are then invited to campus for a personal interview.
- Candidates chosen to participate begin the program immediately, or as slots become available.