Skip to main content Skip to main content

Addiction Studies

Our curriculum is nationally accredited by the National Addiction Studies Accreditation Commission (NASAC) and Council for Standards in Human Service Education (CSHSE). Students who complete this concentration will fulfill many of the requirements towards becoming a Certified Addictions Technician (CAT) and a Certified Addictions Specialist (CAS). 

The Addiction Studies concentration is designed so that you will have all the coursework and professional experience hours completed to apply to become a Certified Addictions Counselor (CAC) Level I when you graduate. You will need to pass the State jurisprudence test in order to qualify for your CAC. 

We also offer all the courses for CAC II and III. See CAC page. 

Dr. Tricia Hudson-Matthew is the main advisor for the Addiction Studies concentration.


B.S. in Human Services, Addictions Studies  
General Studies  33 
Human Services core courses 31
Addiction Studies concentration  47 or 53 
Electives   9 or 3  
Total hours  120



Addiction Studies required courses:  
HSP 2020 - Small Group Dynamics: Theory and Experience  4 
HSP 2030 - Theory and Practice of Counseling 4
HSP 2040 - Family Systems  4 
HSP 3400 - Pharmacology of Drugs and Alcohol  3 
HSP 3460 - Addiction, Immunity, and Infectious Diseases 2
HSP 3470 - Counseling the Substance Abuser 4
HSP 3660 - Advanced Motivational Interviewing and Applied Counseling Skills  2 
HSP 4040 - Cognitive Behavior Therapy  3 
HSP 4320 - Psychopathology and the Mental Health Clinician  4 
HSP 4660 - Clinical Supervision in Human Services  3 
HSP 4780 - Human Services Internship II  8 
HSP 4790 - Human Services Internship III 6 or 12 
Total: 47 or 53 

A grade of ā€œCā€ or better is required for each course in this program to count toward the bachelorā€™s degree.

You must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours in order to graduate and 40 of those credit hours must be upper division (3000 or 4000 level).

Note: If you are on a catalog year prior to 2020, your required coursework will be different than the information presented here. See a department advisor to review a degree progress report to verify which classes you need to complete the program.

Click here to review past and present Academic Catalogs. 

Edit this page