Department of Health Professions
Pre-Healthcare Minor Requirements
The Pre-Health Care minor offers students several courses needed to pursue an advanced degree in the health sciences and/or completing prerequisites for post-baccalaureate healthcare programs. Students who plan to pursue attendance at a medical school, physician assistant program, physical therapy doctoral program, or other related graduate programs find this minor helpful in addressing the required prerequisite courses.
Potential majors to complement this minor include, but are not limited to, Anthropology, Health Care Management, Integrative Health Care, Psychology, and Sociology. This minor can not be used with a Biology major.
- Students planning to transfer into an undergraduate nursing program should contact the Department of Nursing at 303-615-1600.
- Students planning to complete a Bachelor's degree before applying to the MSU Denver Accelerated Nursing Program should contact the Department of Nursing at 303-615-1600.
- Students can also see their major advisor for assistance with this program
- Students with majors in the health professions should contact the Department of Health Professions at 303-615-1200.
- Students with a major in Nutrition (HND) should contact the Department of Nutrition at 303-615-0990.
- Completion of this minor does not guarantee admission into any nursing program
- Students are responsible for contacting the nursing program to which they are applying regarding specific prerequisite courses required by that program
- Students must select 21 credit hours from the following courses including at least 3 hours of upper division credit. Courses used for a major or minor other than the Pre-Health Care Minor or used to satisfy the General Studies requirements cannot be used for the Pre-Health Care Minor.
REQUIRED COURSES (8 CREDIT HOURS)
|Course Number||Course Description||Course Credit(s)||Semester Offered|
|BIO 2310||Human Anatomy and Physiology I*||4||FA, SP, SU|
|BIO 2320||Human Anatomy and Physiology II||4||FA, SP, SU|
* Courses requiring additional prerequisites.
ELECTIVES (CHOOSE FROM 13 CREDIT HOURS BELOW)
(at least 3 credit hours must be upper division)
|Course Number||Course Description||Course Credit(s)||
|ANT 3480||Cultural Diversity in Health and Illness||3||FA, SP, SU|
|BIO 1080||General Biology I||3||FA, SP, SU|
|BIO 1090||General Biology Laboratory I||1||FA, SP, SU|
|BIO 1081||General Biology II*||3||FA, SP, SU|
|BIO 1091||General Biology Laboratory II*||1||FA, SP, SU|
|BIO 3320||Advanced Human Physiology*||4||FA|
|BIO 3350||Immunology*||4||FA, SP|
|BIO 3980||Cooperative Education: MedVantage Nursing Internship||3||FA, SP, SU|
|BIO 4450||Pathogenic Microbiology*||5||FA, SP|
|CHE 1100||Principles of Chemistry||4||FA, SP, SU|
|CHE 1150||Principles of Chemistry Laboratory||1||FA, SP, SU|
|CHE 1800||General Chemistry I||4||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 2010||Global Health Systems||3||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 3150||Health Care Organization and Management||3||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 3200||Managing Quality in Health Care||2|
|HCM 3500||Health Care Research Methods*||3||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 3600||Health Information Systems||3||FA, SP|
|HCM 3650||Public Health: Survey||1|
|HCM 3651||Epidemiology in Public Health||1|
|HCM 3652||Environmental Issues in Public Health||1|
|HCM 3700||Health Disparities in the U.S.||3||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 3750||Health Disparities in the U.S.|
|HCM 3800||Long-Term Care: Managing Across the Continuum||3||FA, SP|
|ITP 1600||Herbal Medicine||3||FA, SP, SU|
|ITP 1700||Medical Terminology||2||FA, SP, SU|
|ITP 2500||Complementary and Alternative Medical Therapies||3||FA, SP, SU|
|ITP 2700||Holistic Health||3||FA, SP, SU|
|ITP 2800||Health, Society, and the Environment||3|
|ITP 2950||Wellness Coaching I||3|
|ITP 3000||Men's Health||3|
|ITP 3100||Health Education and Counseling||3|
|ITP 3200||Ethics in Health Care||3||FA, SP|
|ITP 3700||Physiology of Aging||3||FA, SP, SU|
|ITP 3800||Stress and Sleep||3|
|ITP 3850||Lifestyle Medicine||3|
|ITP 4000||Pediatric Holistic Health||3|
|ITP 4100||Women's Holistic Health||3|
|ITP 4300||Botanical Pharmacology||3|
|MTH 1110||College Algebra||3|
|MTH 1120||College Trigonometry||3|
|MTH 1210||Introduction to Statistics||4||FA, SP, SU|
|MTH 1400||Precalculus Mathematics||4|
|NUT 2040||Introduction to Nutrition*||3||FA, SP, SU|
|NUT 3050||Concepts of Lifestyle Nutrition||3|
|NUT 3200||Nutrition and Sports Performance||3|
|NUT 3300||Cultural Aspects of Nutrition||3|
|NUT 3400||Nutrition and Weight Management||3|
|NUT 3500||Food Safety||3|
|NUT 4210||Community Nutrition||3|
|PHI 1030||Ethics||3||FA, SP, SU|
|PSY 2310||Introduction to Statistics for Social and Behavioral Sciences||3||FA, SP, SU|
|SPA 1004||Conversational Spanish for Medical Professions I||3||FA, SP, SU|
|SPA 1005||Conversational Spanish for Medical Professions II||3||FA, SP, SU|
|SPA 1010||Elementary Spanish I||5||FA, SP, SU|
|SPA 1110||Basic Conversational Spanish I||3||FA, SP, SU|
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS FOR MINOR = 21
* Courses requiring additional prerequisites.
To print a copy of the minor requirements for personal use, please click HERE.