- Employees will use Workday to manage and track their SMART goals in alignment with the 2023-24 performance-evaluation cycle.
- Workday goal-setting functionality will go live Aug. 1, and goals must be completed and submitted in Workday by Aug. 31.
- Many tools/resources are available to help employees set goals in Workday, including a checklist of To Do items, goal-setting workshops, open lab time and more.
The next Talent Optimization enhancement in Workday is almost here. Goal Setting is the next scope of work moving to Workday in August, just in time to support the 2023-24 performance-evaluation cycle, which runs from this past July 1 through next June 30.
The goal-setting template will go live in the system Aug. 1, enabling employees and their supervisors with the ability to manage and track goals directly in Workday using the SMART goal methodology.
Aug. 31 is the deadline to submit goals in Workday for the upcoming performance-evaluation cycle (July 1-June 30, 2024).
Employee's goal-setting to-do's:
- Schedule a goal-setting meeting. Employees should request time with their supervisor to review/discuss and set SMART goals for the 2023-24 performance-evaluation cycle.
- Prior to this meeting, employees should consider their work activities and professional-development aspirations.
- When employees are setting goals, it is important to refer to the 2030 MSU Denver Strategic Plan to align department, University and team goals with individual goals.
- Input goals into Workday beginning Aug. 1. Once goals have been reviewed and approved, employees should input their goals directly into Workday.
Note: Supervisors are expected to set goals for new employees within the first 60 to 90 days of employment, making the goal-setting process ongoing for any employee managing a team. See the New Hire Guide for other onboarding tips.
These instructor-led workshops will review how to access the goal-setting task/template and how to begin the goal-setting process in Workday. These sessions will be virtual and recorded.
- Visit the MSU Denver Events Calendar and search “Workday” to register.
- Workshop dates
- Thursday, July 27 at 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 1 at 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 9 at 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 16 at 10:30 a.m.
- Friday, Aug. 25 at 10 a.m.
Open lab time
Subject-matter experts will be available in person for any professional-staff employee, dean or assistant dean who may require additional support with the goal-setting process in Workday. Employees are encouraged to stop by at their convenience. While setting goals is required for all professional staff, deans and assistant deans, anyone who needs support with the goal-setting process is welcome.
Coaching sessions will also be available for supervisors to learn how to manage the goal-setting process effectively for their teams in Workday. In these 20-minute, one-on-one sessions, supervisors will get hands-on training and learn how to conduct effective goal-setting conversations with their employees.
- Date: Aug. 3
- Time: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Location: Jordan Student Success Building, Room 304
Lab time does not need to be scheduled and will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, including the supervisor coaching sessions. Employees can bring their computer and work through the goal-setting process while subject-matter experts are available to help.
Job aids and demos
- Employee: Professional Staff_Admin_Goal Setting_2023-2024 Job Aid
- Manager: Manager_Goal Setting_2023-2024 Job Aid
For more information about goal-setting, visit the Performance Management SharePoint site to access a few goal-setting tools, such as the SMART Goals Worksheet. Here, employees will also find many coaching resources and learn about upcoming goal-setting learning opportunities.
With the practice of setting goals in Workday, employees will experience a more streamlined and user-friendly goal-setting process in one system. Every year, employees and managers should work together to set goals — goals that support the team, the department/college/branch and the employee’s career and professional-development aspirations.
For questions about the goal-setting process, email [email protected]
For more Workday Phase II information, keep reading the Early Bird and visit the MSU Denver workday page.