Department of Theatre and Dance
For official University updates and resources, please visit the MSU Denver Corona Virus Update page.
How to Reach the Department of Theatre
The main office is currently working remotely. We are ready to support you via email, phone, or video conferencing. If you need assistance, please call us at 303-615-1414; the office phones are being forwarded. If you reach voicemail, please leave a message. We will be checking the voicemail and responding to any messages ASAP. You can also reach us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support services for students and building closures
All of MSU Denver’s student success and enrollment services will continue to function but will do so remotely.
The Health Center at Auraria will remain open until further notice and can provide limited COVID-19 testing. Please call the Health Center first at 303-615-9999 prior to directly walking in. This enables the staff to get ready for your visit and ensures that the appropriate screening questions can be asked over the phone.
The Tivoli Student Union
The Auraria Library
- Closed but continue to offer services remotely
- Access materials online Off-Campus Access & Help
- Chat 24/7 via Ask Us
- Schedule a virtual consultation
- We can purchase materials such as ebooks and streaming videos. To recommend a purchase, fill out this form and we'll try and get it for you if possible: https://library.auraria.edu/recommend-a-purchase. Additionally, you may choose to look for alternatives already existing in the Library’s collection, especially for videos, since so many are not obtainable in streaming.
- We can help you and your students with research questions via chat, email, and Zoom. Our chat services are available 24/7. More information about these services is here: https://library.auraria.edu/services/askus. We also have Research Guides (https://guides.auraria.edu/) which provide a lot of guidance on a variety of topics. Please note, we will NOT be meeting in person for research help.
- Most of our resources are available online, this includes journals, articles, databases, books, and streaming videos. Use the Start My Research search on Auraria Library’s homepage (https://library.auraria.edu/) to discover these resources. Problems with off-campus access? See this page: https://library.auraria.edu/services/offcampus.
- Our instruction services (https://library.auraria.edu/instruction-services) and research workshops (https://library.auraria.edu/savvy-researcher-workshops) are also available online. Schedule a class session and we will use Zoom to help your students with finding articles, evaluating sources, poster design, data management, EndNote, and more.
The Early Learning Center
Managing stress and anxiety
We understand that the constant stream of information about COVID-19 and ongoing changes to campus operations may cause stress and anxiety. During challenging times, please know that the following resources are available to you and your students:
- You can talk to a medical professional or counselor at the Health Center at Auraria. Simply call 303-615-9999 and indicate that you would like to schedule a “Coronavirus Consultation.” There will be no charge for this visit.
- MSU Denver’s Counseling Center will begin offering virtual counseling opportunities for students this week. Please call 303-615-9988 to request or reschedule a counseling appointment. If you have an urgent crisis, please call 303-615-9911.
Get READY to go ONLINE: Visit the "READY" website.
TESTING HELP: "PROCTOR-U"
- Proctor U - your professor will let you know if you need to take any exams via Proctor U
ONLINE TECH SUPPORT provided by Center for Teaching, Learning, and Design
Online: Online Tech Support
ITS Support Availability
ITS is temporarily suspending walk-in services at both campus locations. All clients requiring assistance should contact the ITS Helpdesk at 303-352-7548 or submit a request via https://support.msudenver.edu/. The Helpdesk phone line is available 24x7, and the support portal linked above is accessible via VPN.
In an effort to minimize disruptions to remote workers, ITS has temporarily paused password expiration for all MSUDenver.edu account holders. All clients should maintain sound password habits, including use of complex passwords, not sharing credentials, and leveraging multi-factor authentication.
Campus Computer Lab Closure
With most buildings closed and shared computing resources being a risk to spread infection, we will unfortunately be closing all campus computer labs for the duration of the health crisis. We are actively working to provide mechanisms for off-campus access to key academic software titles; if you have any questions on this topic please contact the ITS Helpdesk via the above information.
STUDENTS CAN GET EQUIPMENT
Faculty must fill out the request paperwork with the requested software for a student in need.
- https://www.msudenver.edu/technology/hardware/ is the link to take you to the form to fill out for your student
- https://www.msudenver.edu/technology/helpdesk/forms/software/ is for if the student needs specific software for personal or school computers
DEPARTMENT OF THEATRE AND DANCE AT MSU DENVER
The Department of Theatre and Dance at MSU Denver produces outstanding musicals, dramas, dance concerts, and multidisciplinary performances and festivals. The department also develops and tours original works and cultivates strong community partnerships (such as with Kaiser Permanente’s Educational Theatre Touring Company and Cleo Parker Robinson Dance). Learn more about our mission and history and past productions.
The work of our theatre and dance students, faculty, and staff has earned local and regional awards for many years. We believe that theatre and dance are inclusive ‘ensemble’ experiences that provide transferable skills that will support you in a variety of professions. The theatre program's motto is "Theatre as Equipment for Living!" and the dance program's motto is "Dance to Be Moved!"
Our coursework and practical experiences prepare you for a career in theatre or dance or for graduate school after graduation. Our department has highly accomplished and professionally skilled faculty and staff who care about your success toward achieving your educational and professional goals.
MSU Denver’s Department of Theatre and Dance has been transforming Colorado’s performing-arts scene for decades. Our faculty has won several awards for teaching excellence, and our alumni are working in performance venues throughout the country. The theatre program produces four major productions a year, including two musicals in affiliation with the Department of Music. The dance program provides inter-cultural experiences in dance while giving you skills that last a life-time.
Encapsulating entire cultures through movement, sound and the visual world, there’s nothing quite like the performancing arts that captivates the soul. Unique stories of folklore, interpreted through dance or dialogue, have inspired creativity and mesmerized audiences for generations. Whichever ways you plan on making a living through your creative prowess, the Department of Theatre and Dance will help you find your path.
The MSU Denver's Dance program is distinctive in its versatility and its partnership with Cleo Parker Robinson Dance. CPRD is recognized worldwide for its dynamic cross-cultural curriculum, community engagement, innovative choreography and promotion of American dance heritage. In this exciting program, CPRD’s mission of social transformation through dance and MSU Denver’s academic rigor and focus on real world experience converge.
Are you ready to reimagine your possibilities? Studying theatre or dance will give you confidence and a skill set to be a valuable contributor to the performing arts or set you up for future studies at a graduate program.
Here’s where a Major in Theatre might take you:
Film, screen and stage acting, lighting design, sound engineering, arts administration, stage management, arts administration, costume design, education, and so much more.
Laura Love teaches technical theatre courses and is our departmental Costume Director. She has designed scenery and costumes for more than 90 productions throughout Colorado and Utah. She is also an active member of the United States Institute for Theatre Technology. She is the costume and scenery advisor for our B.F.A. Applied Theatre Technology & Design students, as well as our Theatre Majors and Minors.
Professor of Theatre