Skip to main content Skip to main content

Student Complaints + Appeals

Occasionally students may have a concern or complaint about something that has happened to them with MSU Denver. The University is committed to providing students with information about and referrals to processes that they can use to address their concerns.  This is a guide to the most commonly used processes, though there may be other processes for students to use depending on their circumstances.

Staff members  within the Dean of Students Office are available to help students understand which processes might be right for their situation. Once a student decides which process is right for them, we can help them understand how the process works. While we cannot act as an advocate for a student, our Student Conflict Resolution Services staff can provide guidance in navigating the processes as well as coaching on how to approach a conflict. 

Often the decision to pursue a complaint or grievance process arises following a stressful event, or the steps involved in the process may be stressful or anxiety provoking for a student. Students are encouraged to visit the MSU Denver Counseling Center for support if needed. Students may also have the right to have an advisor or support person with them while navigating a complaint or grievance process and are encouraged to inquire about that option.

Equal Opportunity Grievance Procedure

I believe I have been discriminated against on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expressions or disability."

For more information contact:


Title IX Policies and Procedures

“I am the victim of sexual misconduct including sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking or other forms of interpersonal violence."

For more information contact:


Americans with Disabilities Act Policies and Procedures

I believe that I have been discriminated against on the basis of disability, or I believe I have been denied access or accommodations required by law."

For more information contact:



Tuition and Fee Appeal Policy and Procedure

I have experienced extenuating circumstances such as severe medical illness, an employment situation beyond my control, or the death of an immediate family member resulting in the loss of tuition and fees."

 For more information contact:


Financial Aid SAP Appeal Policy and Procedure

“I do not meet the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress policy due to extenuating circumstances such as medical problems, a death in the immediate family, and/or extreme personal problems."

For more information contact:


Student Conduct Appeal Policy and Procedure

I have been through the conduct process and want to appeal the decision."

For more information:


Student Complaint Policy and Procedure

“I have a concern or situation that is not covered by any of the above policies."

View a summary report of complaints in the  Student Complaint Repository Annual Review - August 2020 .

For more information contact: 


Accident & Injury Resources

“I was injured on campus* and I want to know how to file a report and get resources."

For more information contact: 

*If you have experienced a work-related injury, please contact Human Resources. 


Auraria Police Department Complaint Procedure

I want to report a concern or issue with the campus police department." 

For more information contact:


Auraria Higher Education Center (AHEC) Complaint Procedure

“I want to report a concern or issue related to a campus facility or campus policy."

For more information contact:


If you feel that your concern has not been addressed by existing University policies and procedures, you may wish to contact an external resource for more information. Options include but are not limited to: 

Colorado Department of Higher Education

U. S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights

Edit this page