Since spring 2022, the Finish What You Started scholarship program has provided support to enrolling Metropolitan State University of Denver students to complete their degrees and become workforce-ready. The program is part of a statewide effort through the Colorado Opportunity Scholarship Initiative to get approximately 750,000 Coloradans with some college but no degree back to school and completing their college education. This scholarship model was recently updated to provide even more financial assistance to FWYS scholars.
Students are eligible if they:
- Are a resident of Colorado or classified as a resident for tuition purposes (ASSET students are eligible).
- Will graduate by May 2026.
- Have not earned a degree (including associate’s and bachelor’s degrees).
- Have been out of college for at least two semesters (summer included) immediately prior to reenrolling.
- Have experienced financial hardship due to the pandemic (including but not limited to: rent/housing-cost increase; wages/hours decrease; increased food or housing insecurity, etc.)
Feedback from scholars indicated that their financial need was greater than the scholarship supplied. In response, MSU Denver reworked the model and is now offering scholars $1,000 for every fall and spring semester they are in the program up until graduation or May 2026, when the grant funds cease
In addition to financial assistance, students still benefit from one-on-one support from Navigators in the Transfer and Adult Student Success Center. The dedicated Navigators provide FWYS scholars with individualized service based on students’ needs. Ultimately, Navigators aim to build community with the students on their caseloads and increase the students’ sense of confidence and feelings of connection to the University while supporting them in staying on track academically.