The Faculty Career Catalyst Celebration and Awards Ceremony on April 29 honored faculty members who spark students’ career-attainment journeys. The purpose of the Classroom to Career Hub’s Faculty Career Catalysts initiative is to publicly recognize and create a community of Metropolitan State University of Denver faculty members who are engaged in their students’ education in career preparation and readiness.
Via email and social media, the C2 Hub solicited nominations from students and alumni to identify MSU Denver faculty members who helped them explore their internship, graduate-school and/or career goals. Some 177 nominations were received and included brief descriptions of how these faculty members had a positive impact on students’ career exploration and readiness.
Over 115 Roadrunners — including President Janine Davidson, Ph.D.; Provost Alfred Tatum, Ph.D.; Will Simpkins, Ed.D., vice president for Student Affairs; and academic deans, C2 Hub leadership, staff members and faculty members — attended the event in person and virtually to recognize 123 faculty nominees.
All nominees received a letter that included the name of the student who nominated them and the nomination text as well as an electronic Faculty Career Catalyst badge to include in their email signatures.
Members of the C2 Hub Faculty Engagement team selected 15 award recipients to represent each school/college and faculty category. The awardees were selected based on how their nominations reflected the degree to which the faculty member engages in:
- Advising students in discovering and pursuing opportunities to gain career-relevant experience.
- Supporting students in making informed decisions aligned with their values, goals and interests.
- Connecting students with formal and informal networks and resources.
- Displaying responsiveness, availability, concern, respect and depth of knowledge.
- Providing information on graduate programs and the application process.
All of the nominations described strong faculty-student relationships that helped students shape their career goals and gain confidence in their ability to reach those goals and opened doors to life-changing opportunities.
The C2 Hub congratulates all nominees for the Faculty Career Catalyst award. Please visit the Faculty-Focused Programming page on the C2 Hub’s website.
2022 Faculty Career Catalyst Award Recipients
COLLEGE OF BUSINESS
- CAT I: Christopher Stewart, Management
- CAT II: Tom Miller, Marketing
- CAT III: Bob Farmer, Marketing
COLLEGE OF HEALTH AND APPLIED SCIENCES
- CAT I: Erin Seedorf, Health Professions
- CAT II: Jason Lopez, Health Professions
- CAT III: Merissa Shayler, Social Work
COLLEGE OF LETTERS, ARTS AND SCIENCES
- CAT I: Steve Krizman, Journalism and Media Production
- CAT II: Nicole Predki, Theatre and Dance
- CAT III: Doug Bell, Journalism and Media Production
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
- CAT I: Dorothy Shapland, Early Childhood Education
SCHOOL OF HOSPITALITY
- CAT I: Jackson Lamb, Hospitality, Tourism and Events
- CAT I: Eileen Starr, Social Work
- CAT II: Ann Sullivan, Social Work
- CAT III: Melanie Malaspina, Social Work
- Jessica Torro, Nutrition