Skip to main content Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the latest update on classes?      

MSU Denver ceased holding in-person, on-campus classes on March 13 and gave faculty and staff until March 30 to transition to online course delivery for the remainder of the semester, although many faculty transitioned to remote course delivery earlier. Please contact your instructors and other faculty members with any questions or concerns you might have about the online transition, and please check your email frequently. 

See the FAQ for MSU Denver Students on Online Courses for more information.  


Is MSU Denver offering a Pass/Fail option for spring classes?

On March 27, the University announced that it would allow students a one-time opportunity to convert letter grades to a Pass/Fail notation for the spring 2020 semester. To take advantage of the P/F notation, a student must contact their faculty member within seven days of when grades post on May 22. Read the Pass/Fail Option for Students FAQ for more details. 


Will I receive notification if someone in the MSU Denver community tests positive for COVID-19 or if I may have been exposed to someone who tested positive?

Although we previously stated that campus community members would receive a RAVE notice in the event of any positive case, given that there is sustained community spread, we are now following public health department guidance that a RAVE is unnecessary. Please check your email or the COVID-19 updates page for the latest information. 

Under normal circumstances, when a positive case of a communicable disease is reported in a community or subset of a particular population group, public health officials attempt to inform individuals who may have potentially been exposed. However, given the rapid infiltration of COVID-19 into the U.S., with a rapid escalation of positive cases, public health officials must utilize their resources differently, reprioritizing their standard procedures, to more effectively respond to the immediate needs of the American public. 

Given the highly contagious characteristics of COVID-19, the ongoing community spread and limited resources, the priority of the medical community has shifted from a containment strategy to a mitigation strategy. As a result, it is not feasible to inform individuals who may have been in contact with someone who has tested positive. Consequently, there is no need to inform the director of the Health Center at Auraria if you test positive for the coronavirus, effective March 18. 


Will the Health Center at Auraria remain open and, if not, will the student health insurance cover coronavirus screening and treatment at other hospitals? 

The Health Center at Auraria will remain open until further notice and can provide limited COVID-19 testing. Please call the Health Center first at 303-615-9999 prior to directly walking in. This enables the staff to get ready for your visit and ensures that the appropriate screening questions can be asked over the phone.


Is the Auraria Library open?

The Auraria Library physically closed on March 18 until further notice, but will continue to offer services remotely.


Is the Tivoli Student Union open?

The Tivoli Student Union closed on March 18 until further notice.


Will the PE/Event Center remain open?  

As of March 15, the following rooms/offices will be closed until further notice: the Outdoor Pursuits Center (PE 002), the Fitness Center (PE 110), the racquetball courts (PE 111C & 111F), the squash courts (PE 111D & 111E), the multipurpose room (PE 111G), the Atrium in the building Lobby, PE 116), the gymnasium (PE 117), the Loft (PE 201), the dance studio (PE 215) and the green room (PE 220).  

As of March 17, there will no access to lockers until further notice. 

Please call or email for the most up to date information. 

Campus Recreation | 303-615-1500 | 

Outdoor Pursuits | 303-615-1499 


Will the student computer labs remain open?

With most campus buildings closed and shared computing resources creating a risk to spread COVID-19 infection, we will unfortunately be closing all campus computer labs for the duration of the health crisis. We are actively working to provide mechanisms for off-campus access to key academic software titles; if you have any questions on this topic please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 303-352-7548.

Is the Roadrunner Food Pantry open? 

The Roadrunner Food Pantry is closed at this time; however, we are still here to support you. We understand this is an uncertain time. If you are in need of food assistance or other resources, please contact the Student Care Center to discuss your needs by calling 303-615-0006, emailing or filing a CARE Referral so that a case manager can follow up with you.

You can connect with 2-1-1 (web-based resources, virtual live-chat or dial 2-1-1 by phone) for additional food resources in your home county, while Hunger Free Colorado is also maintaining an updated list of local community food pantries and K-12 school-based meal programs. Visit or call the Food Resource Hotline (855-855-4626), weekdays from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., where bilingual staff are also available to assist.


What will happen to student housing? Will specific precautions be taken? 

MSU Denver does not own or operate student housing, but we have reached out to student housing providers close to campus, including 

The RegencyCoLab and Auraria Student Lofts. Those providers have been consulting with our Dean of Students Office and Emergency Preparation team on best practices during the health crisis.  

The three providers have sent communications directly to student residents with information on flexible options and other support. Please contact providers with additional questions.  

The Regency Student Housing | 

CoLab | 

Auraria Student Lofts | 


I do not have a place to stay. What should I do? 

We recognize that under typical conditions it can be difficult to find safe and affordable housing in Denver. The community health crisis has only exacerbated the problem. To discuss your individual situation please contact the Student Care Center by calling 303-615-0006, emailing or filing a CARE Referral so that a case manager can follow up with you.

If any MSU Denver students, faculty or staff need assistance for immediate housing needs, the on-campus SpringHill Suites is offering a discounted rate of $49/night. Book here and show your MSU Denver ID card to check in.

You can connect with 2-1-1 (web-based resources, virtual live-chat or dial 2-1-1 by phone) to discuss available options in your area as well.


What if I don’t have internet?

Comcast is offering 60 days of free internet to low-income customers who live in a Comcast service area. Check out Comcast’s Internet Essentials program by calling 855-846-8376 (English) or 855-765-6995 (Spanish).


What if I don’t have a computer or device?

If you don’t have a personal device other than a cell phone, the hotspot option doesn’t work, and you’ve tried using your cell phone for class but it isn’t working, visit or call 303-352-7548 to request use of a loaned device. Note that these resources are limited and will be provided to those in greatest need.   

In addition, there are programs available to purchase computers at low-cost based upon income:


I am interested in purchasing a low-cost computer, but cannot afford it. What should I do?

If you are unable to purchase technology, you may be eligible for the Student Emergency Retention Fund. Review the qualifications to receive a stipend, fill out the application, and a case manager from the Student Care Center will follow up to discuss your situation.

Please note we are dispersing funds as funds are available for individuals whose situation meets the fund guidelines. If you would like to discuss your circumstances, please contact the Student Care Center by calling 303-615-0006, emailing or filing a CARE Referral.


What do I do if lose my job?

If you were laid off from your job, you may be able to file a claim to receive unemployment benefits.

If you are not able to pay your bills, you may be eligible for the Student Emergency Retention Fund. Review the qualifications to receive a stipend, fill out the application, and a case manager from the Student Care Center will follow up to discuss your situation.

Please note we are dispersing funds as funds are available for individuals whose situation meets the fund guidelines. If you would like to discuss your circumstances, please contact the Student Care Center by calling 303-615-0006, emailing or filing a CARE Referral.

You can connect with 2-1-1 (web-based resources, virtual live-chat or dial 2-1-1 by phone) to discuss available options in your area as well.


I have encountered other problems as a result of the community health crisis. What should I do?

The Student Care Center is here to support you. If you would like to discuss your circumstances, please contact the Student Care Center by calling 303-615-0006, emailing or filing a CARE Referral so that a case manager can follow up with you. 


Is the MSU Denver Counseling Center offering remote sessions?

MSU Denver’s Counseling Center will begin offering virtual counseling opportunities through Microsoft Teams the week of March 16All current clients are receiving phone calls about the transition and detailed instructions on how to submit the updated informed consent documents online and how to download Teams. New clients can find more information on the Counseling Center website.

If you have an urgent mental health crisis, please call the crisis hotline at 303-615-9911. 


Is the MSU Denver Tutoring Center offering online tutoring?

As MSU Denver works to move classes online, the University will offer 24/7 online tutoring. To access, log in to Blackboard Learn from the Student Hub, click on "Learning Support Services" under My Organizations, then click on the Online Tutoring link. 


Will the LGBTQ Student Resource Center remain open?

The LGBTQ Student Resource Center space in the Tivoli closed after March 16. However, staff are working on developing how services can move to a virtual platform to continue to engage and support students. If you have questions, concerns or suggestions, share your thoughts through a two-question survey or email the staff or director Steve Willich. 


What if I need to withdraw from classes, drop a class or get an incomplete grade? What if I miss the drop deadline?

MSU Denver plans to continue operations with as little disruption to courses as possible. As of this moment, students are expected to complete their classes and the University is committed to providing students with the resources to do so. Students who have satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of work for a given class, but are unable to complete the class due to reasons beyond their control may request an Incomplete Grade. This provides an extension of time beyond the semester to complete the work and receive a grade. See the MSU Denver Incomplete Policy

If you need to withdraw from all classes for the semester, do so through the Student Hub portal by or before the last day to withdraw from classes. These deadlines can be found in your Student Detail Schedule. Students who wish to drop late start classes must do so by the published deadline. If you miss a withdrawal deadline as a result of extenuating circumstances, you may complete an Administrative Withdrawal request through the Registrar’s Office as well as a Tuition and Fees Appeal through the Bursar’s Office.  


I’m a student employeewill I still get paid?

In the event that we require employees to work remotely, supervisors are encouraged to identify projects/opportunities for our hourly employees, including student work-study employees. However, MSU Denver will continue to pay hourly employees, including student work-study employees, for the scheduled hours they would have worked, regardless of whether opportunities to work remotely are available. 

The Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE) and the U.S. Department of Education (U.S. DoE) have issued guidance allowing institutions to continue paying federal and Colorado work-study funds to students in the event the institution closes due to COVID-19. 


Will I be able get a refund for parking since I won’t be coming to campus?  

You can get a refund for the unused portion of your permit. Contact the Parking and Transportation Services Offices directly at 303-556-2003. The last day to get a refund on spring parking permits is April 16.  


Will orientation be switched entirely online for new students? 

  • All students accepted for the summer 2020 semester will have the option to complete an Online Orientation. All first-time-to-college students are required to contact their academic advisor following completion of the Online Orientation for mandatory academic advising. These students will have an advising hold until they meet with an academic advisor. 
  • First-time-to-college students accepted for the fall 2020 semester should continue to sign-up for an on-campus Orientation experience to be completed during the summer months (June-August).  
  • Transfer students accepted for the fall 2020 semester have the option to sign-up for an on-campus Orientation experience during the summer months (June-August) or complete the Online Orientation experience. 


Will the spring 2020 graduation ceremony be affected? 

In keeping with statewide event-restriction recommendations, MSU Denver has postponed all spring Commencement ceremonies. While those ceremonies are postponed, this will not delay the awarding of degrees for those students who successfully complete their degree requirements by the end of the spring semester.

As far as regalia that has already been ordered for the postponed spring ceremonies, the vendor Herff Jones will provide full reimbursement on unused, unopened regalia. View Herff Jones cap and gown policies and announcement policies on their website. Invitations can be sent back to the vendor minus 10% and shipping and handling. For more information about Herff Jones’ refund policy or to speak to a customer service representative, please call 1-800-837-4235.

Information will be shared regarding future orders after details of the rescheduled ceremonies are determined. 


What do I do if I have a physical project that needs to be turned in and cannot be emailed? 

Each individual professor is responsible for facilitating their classwork and projects after classes are moved fully online.  


What will happen with lab courses that cannot be taken online like physics and electrical engineering labs? 

Will students be given additional time to complete courses when they switch to online? 

How will a class's curriculum be affected when they switch to online? 

How will testing be changed when it switches to online? 

Each professor is responsible for facilitating their classwork, projects, labs, tests and deadlines after classes are moved fully online. Please speak directly with your professor.  


What will happen to students in the middle of study abroad programs? 

Questions about study abroad can be directed to the Office of International Studies at 303-615-1222. Broadly speaking, it is up to the student. Some study abroad students have opted to stay where they are. If they choose to come home and it is possible, they can, but may need to self-quarantine.  


How will students taking inter-institutional courses be affected? 

Courses where an MSU Denver instructor is the lead instructor should be completely online by March 30. If an instructor from another school is the lead instructor, follow their policy/timeline. 


How are teacher education students doing fieldwork affected? 

Teacher education students, faculty and partners in schools/districts have been sent emails with information about their field placements.  

  • For students in programs prior to student teaching/residency, faculty have created alternative assignments for their field placements that will ensure that they can still successfully complete their coursework on time. 
  • For student teachers/residents, they are to follow their schools’ guidelines.  

We are ensuring that all students will be able to complete their coursework and programs on time despite this disruption. Students’ instructors should be their first point of contact for information, and they can also reach out to the Office of Clinical Experiences & Partnerships in the School of Education. 


How are nursing students doing clinicals at hospitals affected? 

As of March 13, the Nursing Department will refrain from having visiting students participate in the care of patients under respiratory precautions. The department will continue to provide updated guidance as needed based on the latest information. 


How will international students be affected?

International Student Support (ISS) is following specific guidance from the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on how to properly notify of any changes to instructional methods. International students will maintain their status throughout the Spring 2020 semester as long as current courses are not dropped/withdrawn from and instruction from faculty is being followed. ISS has communicated guidance on maintenance of status, travel information, and changes to institutional operations throughout the Spring 2020 semester. International students should contact if they have further questions or concerns, monitor various websites for up-to-date information (MSU Denver,, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention), and communicate with their Designated School Official (DSO) within International Student Support.


Should I cancel my student event?

Per the Centers for Disease Control guidance, MSU Denver recommends that for the next eight weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more. Events of any size should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene and social distancing. When feasible, organizers should modify events to be virtual.


Can I still visit the Center for Visual Art? 

The CVA has closed temporarily. Please visit the center’s website or social media pages for more details as they become available. 


Will the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program continue? 

All remaining VITA tax clinics have been cancelled for the semester. 

Click here to read the full text of the latest guidance from the Health Center at Auraria.


What should students, faculty or staff do if they are concerned they may have COVID-19? 

If you have any concerns about your symptoms, call a medical provider.

If you have a medical emergency, call 911.

If you are 65 or older, a healthcare worker, or have been diagnosed with additional health concerns listed below, call your medical provider when symptoms first occur, to have them assess if you should be seen in person and/or if you should be tested for COVID-19.

If you don’t meet those criteria and are experiencing any signs or symptoms commonly associated with COVID-19, such as a fever, cough or shortness of breath, you should self-isolate for 10 days. If symptoms are mild, over the counter medications can be considered. While at home self-monitor your symptoms (e.g., take your temperature if feeling feverish). If symptoms are well managed at home, you should self-isolate for 10 days AND be fever free for 72 hours (without taking a fever reducing medicine), before self-isolation is ended.

Can anyone get a COVID-19 test when they request one? Or, are there requirements that determine if a COVID-19 test can be approved by a medical provider?  

At this time, test kits and personal protective equipment are in short supply in the

U.S. and in Colorado. Due to this shortage, specific criteria must be met in order to qualify for COVID-19 testing. However, please know that the CDC and State Health Officials may change the testing criteria at any time. 

Current testing criteria: You are 65 or older, a health care worker, or have one of the following conditions: pregnancy, uncontrolled diabetes, hemodialysis, chronic lung disease (e.g. on supplemental oxygen, pulmonary hypertension), cancer, on chemotherapy, organ transplant, HIV or AIDS, immune deficiencies, conditions requiring treatment with immunosuppressive agents or other significant risk factors.

What should a student, faculty or staff member do if they have a “laboratory confirmed” positive case of COVID-19?  

Given the highly contagious characteristics of COVID-19, the ongoing community spread and limited resources, the priority of the medical community has shifted from a containment strategy to a mitigation strategy. As a result, it is not feasible to inform individuals who may have been in contact with someone who has tested positive. Consequently, there is no need to inform the director of the Health Center at Auraria if you test positive for the coronavirus, since results are verified and collected by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

What should I do if I think I came in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, but show no symptoms?

Self-quarantine for 14 days. Self-quarantine is defined as staying at home so you do not potentially spread the disease to others. Within family households attempt to maintain social distancing as much as possible. If you remain asymptomatic (with no symptoms) for 14 days, you can end your self-quarantine.

However, continue to practice social distancing to protect yourself. 

If you should become symptomatic during your self-quarantine period, refer to the guidance above.

If I am feeling ill, should I call my medical provider prior to walking into their facility? Why? 

Yes, calling first, prior to directly walking in, is highly recommended when there is an outbreak of a particular disease. This enables the staff to get ready for your visits and ensures that the appropriate screening questions can be asked over the phone.   

Which populations are most at risk for severe coronavirus symptoms and complications?  

The populations most at risk include older adults and those who have serious, complex and/or chronic medical conditions such as immune suppression, heart disease, diabetes and lung disease.  

With the majority of healthy, non-elderly individuals, are the symptoms of coronavirus severely debilitating?   

No, symptoms (fever, cough and shortness of breath) are most often minor for the majority of healthy people who get coronavirus. For those whose symptoms increase or worsen, it is important to seek medical care.   

I am not sick, but I am scared of all that is going on regarding coronavirus. Can I talk to someone to get the facts about this disease?  

Yes, you can contact the Health Center at Auraria by calling 303-615-9999 and ask for a coronavirus consultation. A medical provider will answer your questions and assist in determining facts from fiction (about coronavirus) so that you can feel less stress and anxiety. If additional assistance is needed, the Health Center can also connect you with counseling resources. There will be no charge for this visit. 

What does “social distancing” mean? 

Social distancing is a method of limiting exposure to disease, in which individuals attempt to limit their contact with others. For example, avoid large crowds, go to the store at “off hours,” avoid eating out in large restaurants, workout at home versus going to a recreation center, have a phone discussion versus a face-to-face appointment, etc. The goal is to limit the spread of a disease. If everyone participates in social distancing, disease transmission can be reduced and the impact to a community and citizens dramatically lessened.  

What does “self-quarantine” mean?  

A self-quarantine is a proactive step that a person can take if they are sick. It means that they would not go to school, work or engage with activities outside of their house. If you go on self-quarantine here are some helpful tips:  

  • Try to separate yourself from the rest of the household as much as possible. 
  • Wear a mask if you must be around other people. 
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds afterwards.  
  • Don’t share common items like towels or dishes, and wipe down surfaces such as door handles, and countertops.  
  • If you experience increased or worrisome symptoms, immediately contact your medical provider. 

Where can I find more information about COVID-19?

What are the best ways to prevent the spread of coronavirus?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend the following everyday practices to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases such as coronavirus, including: 

  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick. 
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. 
  • Stay home when you are sick. 
  • Cover your cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. 
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe. 
  • There is no need to wear a face mask unless you are experiencing signs and symptoms of being sick. 
  • Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. 
  • If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.


Has University-related travel been suspended?



Out of an abundance of caution, and to protect our community from potential exposure to coronavirus, MSU Denver suspended University-related international travel as of March 9 through the end of the semester. This includes study abroad. The University also strongly discourages personal international travel and asks that Roadrunners please use their best judgment when making decisions about upcoming trips.

 Questions about study abroad can be directed to the Office of International Studies at 303-615-1222.

Specific questions about how to issue travel-related refunds to students, or other general financial questions for canceled study abroad trips can be directed to Faculty members who would like to discuss international conference or travel plans should contact Provost Vicki Golich, Ph.D., at or 303-615-1900.


MSU Denver asks that Roadrunners please use their best judgment when making decisions about upcoming business-related or personal domestic travel, particularly to those areas most affected by the coronavirus. Please check back often as we anticipate that this response may change as the situation continues to evolve.    

If it is determined to be in the best interest of an employee and the University to travel domestically, departments have the option of purchasing traveler’s insurance. This insurance could help recoup losses in the event a tripe must be canceled or reschedules. Questions about travel insurance can be sent to

If a travel credit/voucher is issued to the traveler in place of a refund going to the University, those credits must be reported to The Controller’s Office at

Has MSU Denver moved its classes online?

  • All MSU Denver courses are now online. As experts in their disciplines, faculty members are determining how best to use technology to enable students to complete their coursework and will communicate their plan directly to students enrolled in their courses. 
  • Classes will not be held on campus for the remainder of spring semester.
  • Administrative offices are now fully operational online. For more specifics, please refer to the Student FAQ on this website.


Student FAQ for online learning

Faculty FAQ for online learning


Is campus open?

Until further notice, buildings on the Auraria Campus will not be accessible, except for the Health Center for Auraria, which will have regular clinic hours (weather permitting) to serve our community.  

Going forward, only essential personnel and those working on critical research projects – vetted by senior leadership at each institution – will be allowed access to their respective spaces until we are confident that we can resume on-campus operations. We ask that you respect this process. 


How can I reach my contacts in administrative offices? 

All MSU Denver employees are now working remotely. The campus is fully operational online. You can reach any administrative office via email, phone or through their website. See the Student FAQ on this website for more specific information.

See other policy updates from Human Resources


Will MSU Denver host any events this semester?

All events for the spring semester have been canceled or postponed. This includes the cancellation of all MSU Denver Athletics events.


Are buildings being cleaned to prevent the spread of the virus?  

MSU Denver and the Auraria Higher Education Center (AHEC) are following recommended cleaning protocols for all buildings. We are also working to determine the most efficient way to deep clean these spaces.


Can I park on campus? 

Parking fees are not being charged on campus at this time. However, only mission-critical and essential employees, and patients going to the Health Center at Auraria are allowed on campus. Please continue to park in designated parking spaces and abide by parking rules. The campus camping prohibition remains in place. No camper or RV parking allowed. Connecting to utilities is prohibited. 


Can I pick up mail and packages sent to campus?

All mail and packages will be received and held. Only mission-critical and essential personnel may pick up critical or essential mail and packages.

How to pick up your mail and packages:

  • Arrange a pick up time:
    Joe Duran | Mail Services | 303.556.3265
    Hours: M–F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m

  • Stop by Distribution Services:
    Pickup Hours: M-F, 10:30 a.m.–5 p.m. (to allow time for morning sorting)
    Distribution Services is located in the rear of the Administration Building at 1201 5th Street, Denver CO. Ring the doorbell next to the large black door for service. You must present your Auraria Campus ID to retrieve mail and packages.

Are athletics events cancelled?

MSU Denver Athletics announced March 12 that it has suspended all athletic competition and recruiting. This followed the NCAA’s decision to cancel championships for spring sports.

For more information go to

Edit this page