Western Educational Equity Assistance Center
Trauma Responsive Practices in the Classroom
This course developed by the Western Educational Equity Assistance Center provides an overview of Equity in K-12 Education and consists of one module and five sections including a post assessment.
General Course Overview
This course was developed by Dr. Da’Mond Holt, and Equity Consultant with the Western Educational Equity Assistance Center. The course consists of four learning modules and each has short assessment at the end. This course is a self-paced training. Once you have completed the entire course, you will receive an electronic certificate from the Metropolitan State University of Denver, as part of the Innovative and Lifelong Learning program.
This course will cover the impact trauma has on education. This content includes the impact of trauma on brain development and the long-term effects it has on children behaviorally and academically. We hope the course will enhance the participants understanding of the impact trauma has on the education process.
This course will discuss the following topics:
- Module 1: Trauma Informed Care
- Module 2: Brain Development
- Module 3: Impact of Trauma on the Brain
- Module 4: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define Trauma-Informed Care and its impact on education.
- Develop an understanding of brain development during the different stages of childhood.
- Develop an understanding of the impact traumatic experiences have on brain development.
- Develop an understanding of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and its connection to educational challenges.
Professional Development Units
The suggested amount of Professional Development Units for this course is 4 contact hours. MSU Denver will issue a certificate of completion and it is at the discretion of state licensing agencies, school districts, or local educational agency to recognize completion for professional development credits.
Google Classroom Access
1) Make sure you have a google account as you will need to sign in. You can create one at no cost using any email address.
2) Go to Google Classroom at the following link and sign into your google account: https://classroom.google.com
3) Once you are signed in click on the + sign at the top right hand of the page. On the dropdown menu click on Join Class.
4) A pop-up screen will ask for the class code. Use the following code to access the course: sjfa7vu