Western Educational Equity Assistance Center
Supporting Students Gender Identity and Expression
This course developed by the Western Educational Equity Assistance Center provides an overview of Equity in K-12 Education and consists of one module and five sections including a post assessment.
General Course Overview
This course This content was prepared by Colleen Toomey, M.Ed., Principal Analyst with the Western Educational Equity Assistance Center. It consists of a single learning module with five sections. This course is a self-paced training. Once you have completed the entire course, you will receive an electronic certificate from the Metropolitan State University of Denver, as part of the Innovative and Lifelong Learning program.
Supporting Students Gender Identity and Expression is an introductory course for educators looking to expand their knowledge on issues impacting the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community. With a particular focus on gender identity, this course will give you language to better communicate with and support the LGBTQ+ community, as well as help you to practice how you might respond to common microaggressions towards LGBTQ+ students.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and articulate the difference between sex and gender
- Evaluate and reflect on personal awareness of equity-minded approaches to education, with a focus on sex and gender
- Become better equipped to interrupt issues of bullying and harassment as it relates to gender identity and sexual orientation
Professional Development Units
The suggested amount of Professional Development Units for this course is 2 contact hours. MSU Denver will issue a certificate of completion and it is at the discretion of state licensing agencies, school districts, or local educational agency to recognize completion for professional development credits.
Google Classroom Access
1) Make sure you have a google account as you will need to sign in. You can create one at no cost using any email address.
2) Go to Google Classroom at the following link and sign into your google account: https://classroom.google.com
3) Once you are signed in click on the + sign at the top right hand of the page. On the dropdown menu click on Join Class.
4) A pop-up screen will ask for the class code. Use the following code to access the course: sx3jyen