Skip to main content Skip to main content

Summer 2020 GI Bill® Information


  • Summer - Undergraduate full time for VA benefits is 6 credits from 06/08/2020 to 08/01/2020. Partial term courses can impact benefit payments.
  • For graduate coursework please refer to the University Catalog for full-time requirements. (6 credits in, Fall, Spring and Summer) 
  • Benefits are prorated when enrolled less than full time. 
  • Post 9/11 requires enrollment of greater than half time (at least 4 credits during summer) to receive Monthly Housing Allowance. 
  • Distance learning courses (online, correspondence, self-paced online) can affect Post 9/11 Benefits. Contact us with questions. 
  • Self-paced Online courses CANNOT be certified until course completion. This will affect all benefit types should you register for a course of this type. 
  • Post 9/11, students need to submit a Certification Request no later than 06/08/2020 for summer to avoid service fees. Tuition does not need to be paid up front when a certification is submitted on time and you can disregard any notice about your balance unless you are less than 100% eligible for Post 9/11. 
  • Only courses that are required for your degree can be certified.
  • Please read other important reminders in the box below. 

After registration, you must submit a Certification Request in order to receive your benefits.


Current Post 9/11 Payment Rates (100% eligibility)

Zip CodeVA Rate* DOD Rate
80217 $2225 $2136
* DOD Rate applies to the Post 9/11 GI Bill students who had not previously used their benefits before 1/1/2018.

These payments are prorated (not a full payment) for months when you are not in class the entire month. (January, May, June, August, December) 

Important Reminders

All Benefits 

  • The VA pays in arrears (first of the month for the prior month) and prorated for any month in which you are not in class for the full month
  • All students must submit a Certification Request after registration for each semester they intend to receive VA payments. 
  • Only courses that are degree requirements can be certified
  • Online remedial courses are prohibited from being certified for VA benefits
  • Inform us of ANY registration changes so we can report that in a timely manner and advise you of the impact.

 Post 9/11 & Fry Scholarship 

  • Students in only distance learning courses (online, self-paced and correspondence) are only eligible for Half the National Average of BAH
  • Book stipend is capped at 24 credits for the academic year. If you attend full time in Fall and full time in Spring, you will not receive a book stipend for Summer
  • If you attend half time or less you will not receive BAH. BAH eligibility
  • Active Duty members are not eligible for the BAH.  If you separate from active duty during the term or applied for benefits prior to separation the VA will need your DD214 to change your status.
  • VA Will Not Pay For Any Tivoli Book Store Charges to Your Account 
  • The VA will pay for the mandatory school health insurance if you are 100% eligble for Post 9/11 GI Bill. Keep the additional insurance even if you already have coverage. 

Post 9/11, Fry Scholarship & Voc Rehab

  • Once the add/drop deadline passes and charges are solidified tuition and fees will be reported to the VA for Post 9/11 and Fry
  • Voc Rehab will be paid by your counselor when they are invoiced after add/drop by the Bursars Office

  Montgomery GI Bill (Chapters 30 & 1606)

  • You must verify your enrollment with the VA 
  • Verify the last day of the month to release payment
  • Call 1-877-823-2378 or visit W.A.V.E to verify enrollment

In accordance with section 103, Public Law 115-407, Metropolitan State University of Denver will not penalize or limit the participation of students covered under the Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill ® or Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation while awaiting the payment of tuition and fees by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. The University will not drop covered students for non-payment.

  1. To be a covered individual, MSU Denver will require the following documentation by the first payment deadline, no later than the first day of the start of the term:
    1. Certificate of Eligibility; or
    2. Statement of benefits; or
    3. VA Form 28-1905; and
    4. Certification Request by the first day of the term.
  2. If the student fails to request this status by the start of the term, the student will be subject to service charges as stated on the Bursar’s Office website.
Edit this page