Department of Theatre and Dance
Bachelor’s of Fine Arts in Theatre with a concentration in Music Theatre (BFA/MT)
Advising Sheet: BFA in Theatre (Music Theatre Concentration)
4-Year Sample Curriculum Plan: BFA MT Curriculum Plan
BFA/MT PROGRAM APPLICATION: BFA Music Theatre Application
NOTE: Admittance to the BFA/MT program requires an 1. Application, 2. Music Department audition, and 3. A Theatre Department audition and interview. Deadlines are listed on the BFA Music Theatre Program Application. Contact Jeffrey Parker at email@example.com for more information.
- The BFA in Music Theatre is for any student who seeks to work as a performer in the commercial arts and entertainment industry. Some students go on for post-graduate studies or into associated disciplines.
- Students graduate with a complete portfolio (including photos, resumes, monologues, and music) designed to allow them to audition in a variety of formats and music theatre styles. Majors are required to participate in two productions each year either onstage, backstage, or helping in either the scene or costume shop.
General Expectations for BFA/MT
- Embrace and promote our ‘Ensemble Value’ where Everybody Counts! Everybody Contributes! And Everybody Cares!
- Attend every MSU Denver production.
- Audition for every mainstage production.
- Participate in two (2) mainstage productions every academic year.
- Attend mandatory coaching sessions (Fridays from 2pm-4pm).
- Be a BFA in Theatre for at least two full years (four semesters not including summers).
- Fulfill the requirements of the BFA/MT Handbook upon entry into the program.
- Maintain a C- average in all theatre and all associated program classes (including music and dance). Maintain a 2.0 GPA in the major.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA average overall as MSU Denver’s graduation requirement.
- Complete 120 total hours (including 40 upper-division hours and completion of all general studies requirements).
- Students admitted to the BFA/MT are not required to complete a minor.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR BFA/MT
- ALL BFA/MT MAJORS MUST APPLY, AUDITION, AND INTERVIEW BEFORE BEING ACCEPTED INTO THE DEGREE PROGRAM.
- ALL TRANSFER STUDENTS are required to fulfill two (2) years (four semesters not including summers) in either BFA programs after acceptance.
- All applicants should be able to demonstrate some level of competency, experience and/or educational training in theatre and music prior to acceptance into the program.
- Apply BFA in Theatre Concentration in Music Theatre
- Audition for the Music Department
- Audition for the Theatre Department
- Participate in an interview.