Information Technology Services
What is Banner?
Banner is an administrative software application developed specifically for higher education institutions. Banner maintains student, financial and personnel data. It consists of Several Modules or integrated systems:
- FINANCIAL AID
- HUMAN RESOURCES
The systems are highly integrated because they all share a common database. This common database is shared by everyone who uses Banner at MSU Denver, which makes it easy to maintain records on someone who applies to the University, becomes a student, graduates, and then becomes an alumnus. Technically, data is not actually stored in Banner. Data is stored in a powerful database called ORACLE. It would be difficult for a non-technical user to directly add or retrieve data from the actual database. The Banner software acts as an interface to the ORACLE database, making the job of adding or retrieving data much easier. Banner provides the features and processing capabilities needed for student information (admissions, registration, etc.), human resources information (employee benefits, salary/deduction history, etc.), financial aid information (needs analysis, packaging, etc.) and finance information (general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, etc.).
Because of the common database, multiple departments use the information entered into Banner. Other departments share data, sometimes several years in the future. For example, a name change would be reflected in the Student, Financial Aid, and Human Resource systems. Though information on Banner is shared, many users are allowed only to look up (query) specific information. When you perform a query, you retrieve information from the database and display that information on the screen. Banner has a variety of tools that let you search by name and automatically retrieve associated information. Banner also has sophisticated security measures to make sure that only authorized individuals have access to specific data.
Banner is composed of a suite of administrative systems that are also called Modules. These modules are designed to support certain aspects of institutional management. Banner is also capable of sharing data with other Banner Products (i.e. Luminis Platform, Banner Relationship Management and Performance Management tools (recruiting and Cognos reporting).
Banner allows users to enter data in multiple areas using standard codes while enabling them to access shared data that they need throughout the database. Banner also provides security which prevents users and roles from accessing unauthorized areas. It can be used in two ways: to restrict access to entire forms or to restrict which data is shown on a form.
- Allow learners to search and register for classes by term or date and to retrieve financial aid data
- Allow faculty to manage course information, and to advise students effectively
- Consolidate each learner's record into one, from recruiting to alumnus
- Communicate quickly with prospects, applicants and students via email
- Create flexible scheduling, registration, teaching and learning modes
- Access faculty classroom and office hours with multiple calendar views.
- Manage personnel information across an institution
- Automate payroll administration
- Automate and track personnel actions, including compensation changes, promotions, leaves and terminations
- Streamline budgeting policies and procedures
- Provide up-to-date answers to personal and payroll questions for employees
- Enable employees to enter time sheets, leave reports and / or leave requests online.
- Administer financial aid from recruiting through graduation
- Guarantee equitable treatment of learners
- Control institutional eligibility
- Support enrollment management goals
- Support traditional and online learners
- Streamline applications, student communication, awarding and reporting to make processing easier.
- Manage fiscal resources by channeling together information from disparate systems
- Create a central repository for all financial transactional processing
- Put critical, updated budgetary information at department's fingertips.
Job-specific training on Banner usage is provided by individual departments. Additional training may be required by module owners to receive permissions to additional screens. For information about training opportunities, please contact the following Banner module owner(s):
|Module||Module Owner(s)||Contact Information|
|Financial Aid||Tyler Resch
Links to additional web resources are provided below:
- The Vision behind Banner 9 (video) ↗
- Navigating Banner 9 (video)↗
- Banner Keyboard Shortcuts
- Banner 9 Job Submission
Please visit the US Department of Educations Website for more information regarding the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
Revised: December 2018
If you have additional questions, concerns, or need immediate assistance - Please contact the MSU Denver Helpdesk.