Interested in Being an SI Leader?
Apply to be an SI Leader!
Help provide academic support for students in historically difficult courses and join the Supplemental Instruction team! As a Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader, you will help facilitate student learning for a specific course while assisting students to build effective academic and study skills. SI Leaders plan and lead SI sessions 2-3 times per week – peer-led guided study groups for all students to discuss challenging concepts, share study and test-taking strategies, and collaborate with peers to better understand difficult content. On average, students who regularly participate in SI sessions earn higher grades and spend less time studying.
Not only will you help all students find success and improve as learners, but you will also grow as a leader, develop professional skills, and gain a deeper grasp on content that is relevant to your career/academic goals!
- Plan and lead at least two 50-minute SI sessions per week - and promote your sessions to students (we’ll teach you and have lots of resources to share!).
- Attend class (either in person or online) for your designated course as a model student, getting to know the students, and staying up to date with all course material, expectations, and challenging content to students.
- Collaborate with faculty regularly to discuss the course and how to best support your students.
- Meet with SI staff to discuss planning SI sessions, using a variety of learning strategies, marketing your sessions to students, regular feedback, and problem-solving.
- Join other SI Leaders for weekly training sessions to continue developing professional and leadership skills.
- We are looking for SI Leaders in the following areas: Business, Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics, and Psychology.
- Completed at least 30 credit hours by the start of the Fall 2021 semester.
- Registered for at least 6 credit hours for Fall 2021 semester.
- You have demonstrated high performing student to help set an academic tone with other students.
- You are excited to help others and love working with a diverse group of people.
- You possess good organization, time management, and communication skills.
- You can attend the required SI Fall kick-off training (required both days from 9:00-5:00) - August 10th & 11th.
- You can attend weekly (paid) training sessions throughout the semester from 2:00-3:00 on Fridays.
WHAT CLASSES DO SI LEADERS SUPPORT?
We are still finalizing exact courses, but looking for students to support courses in biology, business, engineering, chemistry, mathematics, and psychology.
HOW MANY HOURS DO SI LEADERS WORK EACH WEEK?
Most of our SI Leaders work about 10 hours per week. Those 10 hours are spent attending class for their assigned SI course, planning and facilitating study sessions outside of class, and attending trainings or meetings.
HOW ARE SI LEADERS’ SCHEDULES CREATED?
SI Leaders’ work hours are usually scheduled around the SI Leader’s schedule. When we assign SI Leaders to a course to support, we use their schedules to search for placement options within our list of potential supported courses/sections. Once an SI Leader’s placement has been finalized, we work with the SI Leader to establish the schedule for their study sessions. The only hours that are not flexible are the Friday trainings. For the Fall 2021 semester, we will require that all SI Leaders attend weekly Friday trainings from 2-3pm (there will be about 3 trainings per month).
WHAT SPECIFIC THINGS ARE SI LEADERS DOING THROUGHOUT THE WEEK?
- SI Leaders are required to attend class for their assigned course, either in-person or virtually for synchronous classes. For online courses, SI Leaders are expected to review course content throughout the week. The only time they aren't required to attend class is during exams.
- SI Leaders are required to hold study sessions outside of class. These study sessions are held twice a week and usually last an hour each. We review each SI Leader’s availability and then work with them to schedule the days/times for their sessions.
- Prior to holding a session, SI Leaders are required to plan their session activities ahead of time and incorporate collaborative, active learning strategies. We teach all our SI Leaders how to plan for these kinds of activities and implement them during our pre-semester Kick-Off training (August 10 and 11). SI Leaders usually spend about 1 hour of planning for each session they hold.
- SI Leaders are compensated for any time spent attending class lectures, planning their sessions, holding sessions, and attending training or meetings. The hours we ask our Leaders to commit to is roughly 10 hours a week.
- SI Leaders are required to attend weekly meetings every Friday from 2 pm to 3 pm.