Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences
Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences Leveling Certificate
MSU Denver welcomes students who already have a bachelor’s degree, yet wish to pursue a career in audiology (AUD) or speech-language pathology (SLP). Clinical certification for SLP or AUD requires a graduate degree, and acceptance into graduate school is competitive. Admission is enhanced if students successfully complete our 25-credit leveling certificate, a series of eight undergraduate SLHS courses.
Additional coursework considerations:
- Degree-seeking SLHS majors are required to take non-SLHS prerequisite courses. These suggested prerequisites may be waived for “leveling” students; however, students without background knowledge in these areas will need to enroll in a formal course and/or engage in independent review of the material to be successful.
- Some graduate programs require a clinical practicum course to be completed before starting their programs. Our clinical practicum course is SLHS 4500 (Principles of Assessment and Intervention).
- Prior to certification, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires undergraduate coursework in: a) social/behavioral sciences, b) biology, c) physics or chemistry, and d) statistics.
- Meet with an SLHS advisor. Request an in-person or phone appointment with an SLHS advisor by calling 303-615-0045 or emailing SLHS administrative assistant, Shannon Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org). Bring an unofficial transcript with date degree conferred to appointment or provide electronically when scheduling.
- Enroll at MSU Denver. Students must be enrolled to complete this certificate. Official transcripts will be required. Refer to the university website for current enrollment information.
- Register for courses and/or submit course request. For classes that have a prerequisite (SLHS or otherwise) not completed at MSU Denver, students will need registration assistance. Leveling students may submit their hold-lift requests (AKA Financial Responsibility Form ) no earlier than April 1st, 2020 at 12:01 a.m.. Students must make an advising appointment prior to submitting a hold-lift request. Students may submit a completed and instructor signed form, or a completed form and instructor permission via email to Shannon Harris at email@example.com. To make an appointment with an SLHS Advisor please email SLHS@msudenver.edu or call 303-615-0045. Thank you!