Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences
Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences Leveling Certificate
MSU Denver welcomes students who already have a bachelor’s degree, yet wish to pursue a career in audiology (AUD) or speech-language pathology (SLP). Clinical certification for SLP or AUD requires a graduate degree, and acceptance into graduate school is competitive. Admission is enhanced if students successfully complete our 25-credit leveling certificate, a series of eight undergraduate SLHS courses.
Additional coursework considerations:
- Degree-seeking SLHS majors are required to take non-SLHS prerequisite courses. These suggested prerequisites may be waived for “leveling” students; however, students without background knowledge in these areas will need to enroll in a formal course and/or engage in independent review of the material to be successful.
- Some graduate programs require a clinical practicum course to be completed before starting their programs. Our clinical practicum course is SLHS 4500 (Principles of Assessment and Intervention).
- Prior to certification, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires undergraduate coursework in: a) social/behavioral sciences, b) biology, c) physics or chemistry, and d) statistics.
- Meet with an SLHS advisor. Request an in-person or phone appointment with an SLHS advisor by calling 303-615-0045 or emailing SLHS administrative assistant, Shannon Harris (email@example.com). Bring an unofficial transcript with date degree conferred to appointment or provide electronically when scheduling.
- Enroll at MSU Denver. Students must be enrolled to complete this certificate. Official transcripts will be required. Refer to the university website for current enrollment information.
- Register for courses and/or submit course request. For classes that have a prerequisite (SLHS or otherwise) not completed at MSU Denver, students will need registration assistance. Leveling students may submit their hold-lift requests (AKA Financial Responsibility Form ) no earlier than October 28, 2020 at 12:01 a.m.. Requests will be processed in the order that they are submitted, and any submitted prior to the previously mentioned date will be placed at the bottom of list to be processed. Students must make an advising appointment prior to submitting a hold-lift request. Students may submit a completed and instructor signed form, or a completed form and instructor permission via email to Shannon Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org. To make an appointment with an SLHS Advisor please email SLHS@msudenver.edu or call 303-615-0045. Thank you!