Department of Social Work
HRSA BHWET SUD/OUD/MAT Integrative Care Stipend Program
For Academic Year 2019-2020
Due: 5:00 PM on Monday, February 4th, 2019
Metropolitan State University of Denver is pleased to participate in the supplemental HRSA BHWET stipend Program focusing in opioid and other substance abuse treatment. Through federal funding provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), we are able to offer 10 stipends to graduate students committed to serving in one of three sites: Colorado Coalition for the Homeless, Metro Community Provider Network, and Denver Health and Hospital.
The HRSA BHWET Stipend Program is designed to invest in the education of students in order to develop and expand the behavioral health workforce in the State of Colorado specifically addressing the opioid and other substance treatment needs.
The nature of the grant is to:
- Provide (10) $10,000 field placement stipends to concentration year students who will be placed at one of three partnering health care agencies serving populations across the lifespan, including in rural and medically underserved areas.
- Colorado Coalition for the Homeless
- Metro Community Provider Network
- Denver Health and Hospital
- Provide students with specialized integrated behavioral health training in how to work with populations across the lifespan, including in rural and medically underserved areas.
- Position stipend recipients to succeed in addressing the behavioral health needs of this vulnerable population with particular attention to addressing the needs of opioid and other substance abuse treatment.
- Build a network of professionals and agencies which collaborate in providing interdisciplinary services to vulnerable, at risk, medically underserved, or rural populations and their families, with particular attention to work within interprofessional teams and contexts with specific training in and with integrated primary care agencies.
We encourage you to review the application documents to consider if your career interests are appropriate for you to apply for this stipend. Carefully review the application as there are conditions to the award.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Students who meet the following requirements are eligible to apply for the supplemental HRSA BHWET Stipend Program for the 2019-20 academic year:
- Current MSW Concentration Year (includes Advanced Standing) students who will be in their concentration placement and/or final year of the MSW program in the 2019-2020 academic year and are in good academic standing in the program.
If chosen to receive the supplemental HRSA BHWET Stipend and accept the funds, students must:
- Successfully complete all required MSW coursework
- Successfully complete the required field placement in one of the three approve agencies
- Commit to working full-time in Colorado at an approved agency serving populations across the lifespan, including in rural and medically underserved areas for a period of time equivalent to 12 months post-graduation
- Complete the monthly HRSA BHWET Stipend Program inter-professional training seminar program. These seminars are hybrid which means that they will have online and on campus components. This seminar is NOT for credit and is REQUIRED.
- Enroll in a HRSA-designated field course
Complete the supplemental HRSA BHWET Stipend Application and submit it by 5:00 PM on Monday, February 4th, 2019.
Only TYPED and completed application packets will be accepted. Application packets must include the following:
- Download and complete the Application Form (Application Form - HRSA SUD-OUD-MAT Integrative Care Stipend 2019-2020)
- 1-2 page Resume: UPDATED and including educational and work/volunteer experience
- Cover Letter: including a brief statement explaining your interest in the stipend program; a brief summary of the experiences and strengths you would bring to the behavioral health field, specifically in working with populations across the lifespan, including in rural and medically underserved areas; and a brief statement of anything else you would like the selection committee to consider
- Two Recommendations: one of which MUST be from a faculty member in your current graduate MSW program. Use the recommendation forms provided. (Letter of Recommendation - HRSA SUD-OUT-MAT Integrative Care Stipend 2019-2020)
- Advanced Standing Students: If you are newly admitted to the MSW Program and entering your field placement in the 2019-2020 academic year, you are eligible and your recommendation letters will come from your BSW faculty.
Please make sure to complete ALL sections listed in the Application Instructions, and submit all materials together by 5pm on Monday, February 4th, 2019, to:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
ATTN: HRSA SUD/OUD/MAT Program
Dr. Dawn Matera Bassett, LCSW
PO Box 173362, Campus Box 70
Denver, CO 80217-3362
or you may drop it off to Dr. Matera Bassett in the Department of Social Work at CN 201U.
Complete application packets will be reviewed and you may be contacted for an in-person or phone pre-interview. Selected candidates will be asked to complete an on-campus interview with the HRSA BHWET Stipend Selection Committee.
Interviews dates are TBD at this time. If selected to move into the interview phase, you will be contacted by the Social Work Grants Services Office to schedule an interview time.
If you have further questions, or need to submit electronic documents please contact Guadalupe Vargas, HRSA Stipend Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Field Placement with one of the partnering health centers is required. No other placements are eligible.
- Field Placement determination included in the grant recruitment process. You are encouraged to apply for other placements, in the event you are not selected for the grant program.
Forms are best viewed and completed in Adobe PDF Viewer.
Completing forms in an internet browser may result in form errors or loss of entered data.