Department of Social Work
HRSA BHWET MSW General Integrative Care Stipend Program
Phase I HRSA Application Cycle - continuing MSW students and priority application deadline Advanced Standing applicants who want to be considered for HRSA BHWET identified placement sites should apply during the Phase I HRSA Application Cycle.
For Academic Year 2020-2021
Phase I Application Due: 5:00 PM on Friday, January 17, 2020
Phase II HRSA Application Cycle will open in February 2020 for continuing MSW students and all Advanced Standing applicants.
MSU Denver Department of Social Work and CSU School of Social Work are pleased to announce that we have received a New HSRA Behavioral Health Workforce Education and Training for Professionals Project (BHWET) grant. The grant is funded through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). MSU Denver is excited to have continued participation with this project that positions MSW practitioners to be on the cutting edge of current practice trends as health care and behavioral health care become more integrated under the Affordable Care Act.
The nature of the grant is to:
- Provide $10,000 field placement stipends to concentration year or advanced standing MSW students who are placed at agencies serving populations across the lifespan, including in rural and medically underserved areas.
- Provide students with specialized behavioral health training in how to work with populations across the lifespan, including in rural and medically underserved areas.
- Position stipend recipients to succeed in addressing the mental and behavioral health needs to vulnerable populations in interprofessional integrated care settings.
- Build a network of professionals and agencies which collaborate in providing interprofessional services to vulnerable, at-risk, medically underserved, and/or rural populations and their families.
We encourage you to review the application documents to consider if your educational and career interests are aligned with the nature of the HRSA Stipend Program. Carefully review the application as there are conditions to the award.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Students who meet the following requirements are eligible to apply for the HRSA BHWET Stipend Program for the 2020-2021 academic year:
- Current MSW Program students or MSW Advanced Standing Program applicants who will be in their concentration year placement of the MSW Program in the 2020-2021 academic year and are in good academic standing.
- Students completing their final field placement in a HRSA-eligible agency, which must include:
- A focus on clinical work and/or direct services with populations across the lifespan, located in rural and/or medically underserved areas; AND,
- Interprofessional learning experiences (learning experiences among a group of two or more professions/disciplines).
While not required, preference will be given to applicants whose field placement includes any of the following:
- Integrated care settings;
- Mental and behavioral health settings;
- Problem-solving courts;
- Provides services to underrepresented and underserved populations;
- Offers prevention, intervention and/or treatment for populations at-risk for engaging in harmful behaviors;
- Includes interventions involving families;
- Serves multilingual and multicultural populations.
Applicants who are offered and accept the HRSA General Stipend Program must:
- Successfully complete all required MSW coursework
- Successfully complete the required field placement at a HRSA-eligible agency
- Attend and participate in the HRSA General Integrative Care Program's monthly, interprofessional training seminar program
- The monthly seminars are NOT for course credit and are REQUIRED
- Agree to fulfill the post-graduation employment commitment:
- 12-months full-time (or two positions part-time) employment in Colorado at a HRSA-eligible agency
- **MSU Denver students must enroll in a HRSA-designated field course**
Complete the HRSA BHWET Stipend Application and submit it by 5:00 PM on Friday, January 17, 2020.
Only TYPED and completed applications will be accepted. Application packets must include the following:
- Download and complete the Application Form (Application Form - HRSA General Integrative Care Stipend 2020-2021)
- 1-2 page Resume - UPDATED and including educational and work/volunteer experience
- Typed Cover Letter - including a brief statement explaining your interest in the stipend program; a summary of experiences and strengths you bring to the mental and behavioral health field, specifically in working with populations across lifespan, including in rural and medically underserved areas; and a brief statement of anything else you would like the selection committee to consider.
- Two Recommendations - one of which MUST be from a faculty member in your current graduate MSW Program. Use the recommendation forms provided. (Letter of Recommendation - HRSA General Integrative Care Stipend 2020-2021)
- Advanced Standing Students - if you are applying to start the MSW Program full time in summer 2020 and will be entering your field placement in fall 2020, you are eligible to apply and your recommendation letters will come from your BSW faculty
Please make sure to complete ALL sections listed in the Application Instructions, and submit all materials together by 5:00 PM on Friday, January 17, 2020, to:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
ATTN: Guadalupe Vargas, MSW
PO Box 173362, Campus Box 70
Denver, CO 80217-3362
or you may drop it off to Guadalupe Vargas, MSW in the Department of Social Work at CN 201U.
If you have further questions or need to submit electronic documents, please contact Guadalupe Vargas, HRSA Stipend Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HRSA Scholar Selection Process:
- Only complete application packets will be reviewed by the HRSA Scholar Selection Committee. If necessary, applicants may be contacted for a pre-interview, either in-person or by phone.
- All applicants will be notified of their application status via email.
- Candidates will be invited via email to complete an on-campus interview with the HRSA Scholar Selection Committee.
- Interviews will be scheduled during the last two weeks of January.
- Interviews will last approximately 30-45 minutes per candidate.
Forms are best viewed and completed in Adobe PDF Viewer.
Completing forms in an internet browser may result in form error or loss of entered data.