Department of Social Work
Child Welfare Scholars Application
The Colorado Child Welfare Scholars Consortium (CCWSC), formerly known as the Child Welfare Stipend Program, includes a competitive application and interview process. A limited number of financial stipends are available each year.
Financial stipends are available to students in both the full- and part-time BSSW and MSW programs, including those completing their degrees online and MSW Advanced Standing students. Learn more about the program’s eligibility and requirements.
All interested students should utilize the application process outlined below, regardless of the social work program they plan to attend.
Colorado State University Pueblo: BSW applications are closed for the 2021-2022 academic year.
MSW applications are due by Friday, April 30th @ 11:59pm.
Metropolitan State University of Denver: All applications are closed for the 2021-2022 academic year.
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs: BSW and MSW applications are due by Friday, May 21st @ 11:59pm.
University of Denver: Applications are due Wednesday, May 5th @ 11:59pm. If selected, interviews will be held the week of May 24th.
Application & Interview Process
Follow the application instructions below to submit your application and all required documents.
Your application will be reviewed by CCWSC program staff.
If you are selected to move forward, you will be contacted via e-mail to schedule an interview. Your interview will include representatives from:
- Your social work program
- Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS)
- Colorado County Departments of Human/Social Services
The interview panel will make their final decision based on the availability of funds and the pool of applicants.
You will be contacted by CCWSC program staff with a decision within a month of your interview.
Complete the online application, essay questions and submit all required documents with your application.
Required Documents: All documents listed below will be submitted electronically with your online application:
- Cover Letter(one page): Should include a brief statement of the reason for your interested in the stipend program, a brief summary of the experiences and strengths you would bring to child welfare, and a brief statement of anything special you would like the committee to consider.
- Resume(one to two pages): Should include educational and work/volunteer experience(s).
- Letter(s) of Reference:
- First time CCWSC applicant (BSSW or MSW): Two letters of reference are required and should come from someone who is acquainted with your writing skills, personal qualities and your professional goals. If applicable, they should also be knowledgeable about child welfare.
- Second year CCWSC applicant (MSW): One reference letter is required and should come from your current field instructor or internship coordinator.
- County employees: One letter of recommendation MUST be from your current child welfare supervisor.
- University-specific FERPA form (see below)
Application Forms and Links:
2021-2022 First Time Scholar Application (BSSW and MSW)
- 2021-2022 First Time Scholar Application (BSSW and MSW) (PDF)
- 2021-2022 First Time Scholar Application (BSSW and MSW) (Microsoft Word)
2021-2022 Returning Child Welfare Scholar Application (MSW)
- 2021-2022 Returning Child Welfare Scholar Application (PDF)
- 2021-2022 Returning Child Welfare Scholar Application (Microsoft Word)
Letters of Reference forms
- 2021-2022 Child Welfare Scholar Reference Letter - First Time Applicant
- 2021-2022 Child Welfare Scholar Reference Letter - Returning Applicant
2021-2022 Child Welfare Scholar FERPA Release Forms: Please submit the university specific form for the social work program you intend to attend.
- Colorado State University Pueblo
- Metropolitan State University of Denver
- University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
- University of Denver
Ready to complete your application? Click here (Be sure to click "submit" on the last page of the application and receive a confirmation screen with next steps.)
Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 303-605-7010