Department of Social Work
MSW Program with Non-Degree Seeking Status
Admission, Policy, and Procedures
Students may be admitted to the MSW Program with non-degree seeking status. Approval will be determined based on the evaluation of the applicant's undergraduate GPA, previous coursework, application materials, and program capacity. Non-degree seeking students do not qualify for financial aid. Graduate tuition applies for all courses taken as a non-degree seeking graduate student. Information about tuition rates and payment deadlines is available on MSU Denver’s website.
Students accepted into the MSW Program with non-degree seeking status who hold an undergraduate degree in a field other than social work may be approved to take up to 12 credits of the MSW Program's foundation level coursework. Completing coursework as a non-degree seeking student does not guarantee future admission into the MSW Program with degree-seeking status. Should a non-degree seeking status student wish to apply for degree-seeking status, a full MSW Program application and fee are required. These courses may count toward MSW degree completion if accepted into the MSW Program as a degree-seeking student. Approval will be determined based on the evaluation of the applicant's undergraduate GPA, previous coursework, application materials, and program capacity.Approved coursework typically includes:
- SWKM 5400 - Human Behavior in the Social Environment (3 credits, offered fall semesters only)
- SWKM 5425 - Power, Oppression, and Privilege (3 credits, offered fall semesters only)
- SWKM 5500 - Research Methods in Social Work (3 credits, offered spring semesters only)
- Completion of an undergraduate level statistics course required
- SWKM 5575 - Groups, Teams, and Leadership (3 credits, offered spring semesters only)
Non-Degree Seeking Status for School Social Workers
Social workers with an MSW degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program may take SWKM 6635 - School-Based Social Work Practice as a non-degree seeking student upon acceptance.
MSW Program Admission for Non-Degree Seeking Status
These deadlines and required application materials apply both to applicants wanting to take foundation year coursework and to applicants wanting to take SWKM 6635 - School-Based Social Work Practice.
- Fall Start - applications are due by July 1 prior to the start semester
- Spring Start - applications are due by November 1 prior to the start semester
Only complete applications are considered. Required application materials include:
- Graduate Admissions Application and application fee (check non-degree option)
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended (if you are applying to take SWKM 6635, you must submit your undergraduate transcripts and your MSW program transcripts)
- Current detailed resume
- Submission of Statement of Intent: 1-2 pages double spaced, addressing how you would use the Non-Degree Program to further your educational and/ or career goals.
The MSW Program may reference admissions materials from previous applications to the MSW Program when making non-degree seeking admissions decisions.
Submit your resume and statement of intent to the Office of Social Work Student Services at email@example.com
Official transcripts should also be submitted directly to the Office of Social Work Student Services. Please note that transcripts need to be submitted directly to our office by the college or university or dropped off by a student still in a sealed envelope. Once transcripts have been opened by a student they are no longer considered official.
If you obtained your undergraduate degree from MSU Denver, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your 900# and we can pull your official transcripts for you.
All transcripts should be submitted by choosing one of the options below. Please do not submit any materials to the Office of Admissions at MSU Denver. Failure to submit using one of the options below may result in a delay in processing your application.
- Submit Transcripts Electronically (preferred method)
- Request official transcripts be sent electronically to email@example.com
- Submit Transcripts by Mail
Request official transcripts be sent by mail to:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Department of Social Work
Attn: Office of Social Work Student Services
PO Box 173362 CB 70
Denver, CO 80217-3362
- Submit Transcripts in Person
- Drop off unopened official transcripts with the Department of Social Work, 1006 10th Street, Central Classroom Building Room 201, Denver, CO 80204-3802
Expectations for Non-Degree Seeking Status Students
Applicants accepted into the MSW Program with non-degree seeking status are held responsible, both academically and financially, for any class in which they enroll. Failure to withdraw from any class, regardless of attendance, results in a grade of "F". Students remain liable for tuition and fees. All grading policies for degree-seeking students also apply to non-degree seeking students.
Applicants accepted into the MSW Program with non-degree seeking status must take courses the term they are accepted into. There is no deferral process for accepted non-degree seeking students. Students who do not take courses in the term they are accepted must reapply for non-degree seeking status.
Academic Requirements for Non-Degree Seeking Status Students
Students must earn a grade of "B-" or better in all courses. Failure to obtain a passing grade of "B-" or better will result in dismal from the MSW Program with non-degree seeking status. All coursework completed while in the MSW Program with non-degree seeking status will remain on the academic transcript. Should the non-degree seeking status student become degree-seeking, all grades earned while non-degree seeking will reflect on the official academic transcript.