Department of Social Work
Licensure in Colorado
There are various types of licensure available in the state of Colorado. It is each student's responsibility to inform themselves of the requirements for each type of licensure- additional coursework or tests may be required for certain licenses. Please contact the licensing board that oversees each license for questions or additional information. The information below is a starting point as you begin to research the various licensing options available in Colorado. Remember, that licensing requirements vary from state to state.
LSW (Licensed Social Worker)/ LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker):
For questions or more information, visit the DORA website (Department of Regulatory Agencies).
These licenses are available to graduates of approved Master of Social Work programs.* Students may not apply for licensure prior to graduation. The LSW license is the first step in obtaining the LCSW license.
*Note: MSU Denver's MSW Program is an approved program by DORA, and all graduates are eligible to apply for licensure.
1. Applicant takes the Jurisprudence Exam
2. Applicant completes and submits LSW application.
3. Applicant takes ASWB Exam.
4. Applicant receives verification from DORA- applicant is now licensed as an LSW.
5. Applicant begins to accrue required experience and supervision hours.
6. Applicant completes and submits LCSW application.
7. Applicant receives verification from DORA- applicant is now licensed as an LCSW.