Department of Social Work
Licensure Resources and Options
November 10, 2018
Writing Center Support for MSW Program Applicants - UPDATE
The MSU Denver Writing Center will be closed from December 16th, 2018 through January 22nd, 2019. If you want to use Writing Center support for your admissions essay and/or case study, make sure to schedule an appointment before the end of the fall semester!
Click here to watch a short video about how to schedule an appointment with the Writing Center.
Ready to set up an appointment? Click here to schedule to meet with a Writing Center team member. When scheduling, make sure to select the following options:
- What is your standing at MSU Denver? MSW program applicant
- What type of appointment do you want? Writing Consultation
- Course the writing is for (department) Social Work – MSW
- What is your major? Social Work
Licensure Resources & Options
Did you know the state of Colorado only licenses social workers at the Masters level?
After obtaining an MSW degree, you can then pursue licensure through the state of Colorado. Our department offers licensure resources on our website to help you start your research into the various licensing options available in Colorado, such as:
- Licensed Social Work (LSW) – available to graduates of approved MSW Programs, the LSW license is the first step to obtaining an LCSW license. The Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) oversees the LSW.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) – available to graduates of approved MSW Programs, LCSW candidates must obtain an LSW and accrue required experience and supervision hours. The Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) oversees the LCSW.
- School Social Work Licensure – MSU Denver’s MSW Program curriculum has been approved by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) to offer curriculum towards the special services license endorsed in school social work.
- Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC)/Licensed Addiction Counselor (LAC) – Colorado offers four levels of addiction certification. The Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) oversees the CAC and LAC.
Over 140 MSU Denver MSW Graduates who took the ASWB Clinical Licensure Exam over the last 6 years passed at a rate of 81% - that’s well above the North American average of 66%!