Department of Social Work
The 2020 MSW Program Admissions Cycle is now open!
The Advanced Standing Program is summer-start only. The Regular Program is fall-start only.
For a step-by-step walkthrough of the MSW Program application process, please click here.
If you are planning on applying to the MSW Program for a summer or fall 2020 start, we recommend you sign up for our prospective student list. The Office of Social Work Student Services will send you information via email about our program, application cycle, and important dates and deadlines.
Important Dates and Deadlines
The application for the 2020 Admissions Cycle opened on September 3rd, 2019.
The final application deadline for the 2020 Admissions Cycle is January 15th, 2020 at 11:59 PM. All required materials must be submitted by this date and time for an application to be considered complete and eligible for review.
To be considered for priority admission, applicants must submit all required application materials by October 30th, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
Please note: Application processing takes 10-12 weeks after the deadline to complete.
Applicants who submit all their materials by the priority consideration deadline of October 30th will have their application reviewed during the fall and early winter by the MSW Admission Committee. Those ranked in the very top of the pool of applicants will be granted early admission to the program, granting them a head start on:
- Preparing to start the program
- Securing a field placement
- Registering for classes
All other applicants who submit their application by the priority consideration deadline will have their application rolled forward and will receive their admission notification in spring 2020, 10-12 weeks after the final application deadline.
Although only a select few will receive priority admission, we encourage you to give it a try, submit your materials early, then sit back and relax.
Advising and MSW Program Resources
The Office of Social Work Student Services offers appointments in person, via phone, and via video chat to speak with one of our advisors and learn more about the program and application process. To schedule an advising appointment, please call our Welcome Desk at 303-615-0555.
Have specific questions about the MSW Program or the admissions process? Email the Office of Social Work Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of Social Work Student Services is here to help you along the journey.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Advanced Standing ONLY - must hold a degree from a baccalaureate social work program accredited by CSWE (obtained between June 2014 and present)
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (applicants with a GPA below 3.0 may still apply for conditional acceptance consideration)
- Regular Program ONLY - Completion of Undergraduate Prerequisite Courses prior to the start of MSW coursework
- At least 3 credits of course work in social and behavioral sciences (sociology, psychology, economics, political science, cultural anthropology, etc.) centrally organized around contemporary multicultural or diversity issues.
- At least 3 credits of course work in social and behavioral science centrally organized around American Government (not U.S. history). This will typically be a political science course.
- At least 3 units of course work in human/general biology OR
At least 6 units of course work in natural and physical science (chemistry, physics, geology, etc.)
- At least 3 units of course work in basic statistics (not research methods)
- Submission of all required application materials
- Online MSU Denver Graduate Application (including $50 application fee)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted electronically)
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- MSW Program Application Materials (submitted via Taskstream)
- Professional History Form
- Admissions Essay
- Advanced Standing ONLY:
- Case Study
- Petition for Advanced Standing (if undergraduate social work degree was conferred from June 2010 to May 2014)
If you are applying for the Regular Program and would like an evaluation of your transcripts done for prerequisites, you can send the send the Office of Social Work Student Services your official transcripts for review. We will retain these transcripts for your application.
After submitting your transcripts, please email email@example.com requesting a transcript evaluation for the MSW Program prerequisites. Make sure to include your full name and any former names as well as the names of the schools you are submitting transcripts from in your email. We will email you back once your evaluation is complete. The prerequisite evaluation process may take 4-6 weeks from when we receive your official transcripts.
If you attended a college or university outside of the United States, you must have your transcripts evaluated by either Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES). We cannot accept un-evaluated transcripts for review or for admission to the MSW Program. Once your transcripts have been evaluated, you will have the official evaluation submitted directly from ECE or WES to the Office of Social Work Student Services. We do require that you submit a course-by-course evaluation.
If you obtained an undergraduate degree from MSU Denver, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full legal name and 900# (Student ID Number) and we can pull your official transcripts for you.
If you have previously submitted official transcripts to MSU Denver, please email email@example.com with your full legal name, any former names, 900# (if known), and date of birth, and we will see if we can pull your transcripts from our internal system.
Please note: The Office of Social Work Student Services can only perform prerequisite reviews using official transcripts; we cannot perform a prerequisite review using unofficial transcripts.
There are two ways to submit transcripts to our office:
- Have your official transcripts submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method - see note below) or
- Have your official transcripts mailed to:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Department of Social Work
Attn: Office of Social Work Student Services
PO Box 173362, Campus Box 70
Denver, CO 80217-3362
All transcripts should be submitted by choosing one of the options above. Please do not submit any materials to the MSU Denver Office of Admissions. Failure to submit using one of the options above will result in a delay in reviewing your transcripts for prerequisites.
Important Note: if you are ordering your transcripts and select to send them to a school, you may be forced to choose from a list of schools and will not be able to enter the Office of Social Work Student Services email or mailing address. If this is the situation, do not have your materials sent to MSU Denver Office of Admissions. Instead, you should select to send the transcripts to a third party at which point you should be able to directly enter our information. Sending to a third party and directly entering the email or physical address you want them sent to should be an option at all institutions. We have had transcripts from all schools in Colorado and from schools across the U.S. sent to our office via the email@example.com account.
Readmission After Deferring Acceptance
Applicants who are accepted or accepted conditionally into the MSW Program may defer their start semester up to one academic year from the term that acceptance was originally offered. The full departmental application is not required, however students must submit the Readmission After Deferral form, which will be sent to them electronically by the Office of Social Work Student Services.
Applicants who defer their start semester will be held to the policies and curriculum of the later term in which they officially start the MSW Program. The deferral process is only valid for one academic year from the original acceptance semester.