Department of Social Work
MSW Advanced Standing Program Application Information
The 2021 MSW Admissions Cycle is open now through January 14, 2021
The MSW Advanced Standing Program at MSU Denver is summer-start only
Please note: All information on this page is in reference to the 2021 Admissions Cycle. We cannot guarantee that information and requirements will remain the same for the 2022 Admissions Cycle.
The application deadline for the 2021 Admissions Cycle was January 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM (Mountain Time). We will not be accepting late applications.
If you are planning on applying to the MSW Program for a summer 2021 start, we recommend signing up for our prospective student list. The Office of Social Work Student Services will send you information via email about our program, application cycle, and important dates and deadlines.
Important Dates and Deadlines
The MSW Program at MSU Denver has one admissions cycle annually. The application typically opens in early September, with a priority consideration deadline in late October and a final deadline in mid-January.
The application for the 2021 Admissions Cycle opened on September 8, 2020.
The final application deadline for the 2021 Admissions Cycle was Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM (Mountain Time). All required materials must have been submitted by this date and time for an application to be considered complete and eligible for review.
To be considered for priority admission, applicants must have submitted all required materials by Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Application processing takes 10-12 after the deadline to complete (not from application submission), and applicants are notified of their decision via email.
Priority Consideration Deadline Overview
Applicants who submitted all their materials by the priority consideration deadline have their application reviewed during the fall and early winter by the MSW Admission Committee. Those ranked in the very top of the pool of applicants are granted early admission to the program, granting them a head start on:
- Preparing to start the program
- Securing a field placement
- Registering for classes
All other applicants who submit their application by the priority consideration deadline have their application rolled forward and receive their admission notification after the final application deadline review period.
Advanced Standing Program Eligibility
- Hold a degree from a baccalaureate, social work program accredited by CSWE, hold a degree recognized through CSWE's International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service,* or hold a degree from a program that is covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accreditors.* The degree must have been completed within the last 6 years from the intended start semester in the MSW Program.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher. Applicants with a cumulative GPA below 3.0 may still apply for admissions. If accepted, additional requirements will be part of the admission decision.
- Completion of all required application materials as outlined below. The application materials for Advanced Standing applicants consist of several components.
*Applicants who received degrees from outside the United States should contact the department to determine eligibility
Please check out our FAQ for more eligibility information about the Advanced Standing Program
Additional Eligibility Requirements for International Applicants
International students must:
- Complete all of the same requirements as domestic students;
- Achieve a minimum score of 76 on the internet based TOEFL. For more information on testing options and support for international students, visit the Office of Graduate Studies at
- Submit the required immigration documents for issuance of an I-20;
- Complete the Office of Graduate Studies affidavit for financial support form which can be downloaded at
Required Application Materials
- Online MSU Denver Graduate Application (including $50 Application Fee)
- Professional History Form (embedded in the application, a professional resume is optional)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted electronically)
- Admissions Essay (prompts will be provided)
- Case Study (prompts will be provided)
- Petition for Advanced Standing (if undergraduate social work degree was conferred from December 2010 to November 2014)
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
The MSW Admissions Committee, which is comprised of faculty members, will review complete applications only. Applicants who submit incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the admissions committee and will be denied from the program. After the MSW Admissions Committee receives and reviews the application the applicants will be notified in writing of their status. Applicants may be: accepted, accepted with conditions or stipulations, waitlisted, or denied admission. In some cases, the Admissions Committee may require an interview with the applicant before an acceptance decision can be made. Students should check the MSW Program website for admission timelines.
Students who are accepted into the program typically have no additional obligations to fulfill and will receive an admission decision notification (electronic) from the Social Work Department including a welcome letter, program criteria (program, course delivery, and enrollment status), and a link to the new student pages containing next steps, information about the field placement process and an advising snapshot of the academic program they have been accepted into. The advising snapshot serves as a contract between the student and the department and cannot be altered without the approval of an advisor. Students will be required to confirm their acceptance and program criteria at the time of admission to the MSW Program to secure their "seat". The process by which to confirm enrollment will be articulated in the admission decision notification.
Accepted with Requirements:
Students who are accepted with requirements into the program typically have additional obligations to fulfill either before the start of the MSW Program and/or within the first 6 credit hours of enrollment. This could include, but is not limited to: course completion, low GPA, or other items that are not in compliance with program eligibility standards. In some cases, the Admissions Committee may decide that an applicant is only eligible to take certain coursework during the first year of study under specific guidelines. These criteria, including timeline, will be outlined in the admissions decision notification (electronic). Students who do not fulfill the obligations of their requirements will be dismissed from the MSW Program.
Students will receive an admission decision notification (electronic) from the Social Work Department including a welcome letter, program criteria (program, course delivery, and enrollment status), a link to specific information about the stipulations that must be met, and a link to the new student pages containing next steps, information about the field placement process and an advising snapshot of the academic program they have been accepted into. The advising snapshot serves as a contract between the student and the department and cannot be altered without the approval of an advisor. Students will be required to confirm their acceptance and program criteria at the time of admission to the MSW Program to secure their "seat". The process by which to confirm enrollment will be articulated in the admission decision notification.
Waitlist status may be extended to eligible applicants in the case where program capacity has been reached.
The Admissions Committee reserves the right to deny acceptance of any applicant. Applicants who submit incomplete applications, including transcripts and additional admissions materials will not be reviewed by the admissions committee and will be denied from the program.