Department of Social Work
MSW Program Admissions Information
The 2020 MSW Program Admissions Cycle is now closed. The 2021 Admissions Cycle will open in Fall 2020.
The MSW Advanced Standing Program (for students with an undergraduate degree in social work) is summer-start only. The MSW Regular Program (for students with an undergraduate degree in a field other than social work) is fall-start only.
The application deadline for the 2020 Admissions Cycle was January 15th, 2020 at 11:59 PM. We will not be accepting late applications.
If you are planning on applying to the MSW Program for a summer or fall 2021 start, we recommend you sign up for our prospective student list. The Office of Social Work Student Services will send you information via email about our program, application cycle, and important dates and deadlines.
Non-Degree Seeking Status
Students may be admitted to the MSW Program with non-degree seeking status. The deadline to apply to take MSW Program courses in fall 2020 as a non-degree seeking student is July 1, 2020. Approval will be determined based upon an evaluation of the applicant's undergraduate GPA, previous coursework, application materials, and program capacity. Click here for more information on applying.
Important Dates and Deadlines
The MSW Program at MSU Denver has one admissions cycle annually. The application typically opens in early September, with a priority consideration deadline in late October and a final deadline in mid-January.
Application processing takes 10-12 after the deadline to complete, and applicants are notified of their decision via email.
Exact dates and deadlines for the 2021 Admissions Cycle will be posted to this page when available.
Priority Consideration Deadline Overview
Applicants who submitted all their materials by the priority consideration deadline have their application reviewed during the fall and early winter by the MSW Admission Committee. Those ranked in the very top of the pool of applicants are granted early admission to the program, granting them a head start on:
- Preparing to start the program
- Securing a field placement
- Registering for classes
All other applicants who submit their application by the priority consideration deadline have their application rolled forward and receive their admission notification after the final application deadline review period.
Advising and MSW Program Resources
Advising for the 2021 Admissions Cycle will begin in late summer 2020. If you are on our prospective student list, you will be notified when advising becomes available.
Have specific questions about the MSW Program or the admissions process? Email the Office of Social Work Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of Social Work Student Services is here to help you along the journey.
Please note: All information on this page is in reference to the 2020 Admissions Cycle. We cannot guarantee that information and requirements will remain the same for the 2021 Admissions Cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Advanced Standing ONLY - must hold a degree from a baccalaureate social work program accredited by CSWE (obtained between June 2014 and present)
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (applicants with a GPA below 3.0 may still apply for conditional acceptance consideration)
- Regular Program ONLY - Completion of Undergraduate Prerequisite Courses prior to the start of MSW coursework
- At least 3 credits of course work in social and behavioral sciences (sociology, psychology, economics, political science, cultural anthropology, etc.) centrally organized around contemporary multicultural or diversity issues.
- At least 3 credits of course work in social and behavioral science centrally organized around American Government (not U.S. history). This will typically be a political science course.
- At least 3 units of course work in human/general biology OR
At least 6 units of course work in natural and physical science (chemistry, physics, geology, etc.)
- At least 3 units of course work in basic statistics (not research methods)
- Submission of all required application materials
- Online MSU Denver Graduate Application (including $50 application fee)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted electronically)
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- MSW Program Application Materials (submitted via Taskstream)
- Professional History Form
- Admissions Essay
- Advanced Standing ONLY:
- Case Study
- Petition for Advanced Standing (if undergraduate social work degree was conferred from June 2010 to May 2014)
We are not currently offering prerequisite reviews for the 2021 Admissions Cycle. If you sign up for our prospective student list, you will be notified via email when we begin performing prerequisite reviews for that cycle.
Readmission After Deferring Acceptance
Applicants who are accepted or accepted conditionally into the MSW Program may defer their start semester up to one academic year from the term that acceptance was originally offered. The full departmental application is not required, however students must submit the Readmission After Deferral form, which will be sent to them electronically by the Office of Social Work Student Services.
Applicants who defer their start semester will be held to the policies and curriculum of the later term in which they officially start the MSW Program. The deferral process is only valid for one academic year from the original acceptance semester.