Department of Social Work
MSW Program Admissions Information
The 2021 MSW Admissions Cycle is open now through January 14, 2021
The MSW Advanced Standing Program (for students with an undergraduate degree in social work) is summer-start only. The MSW Regular Program (for students with an undergraduate degree in a field other than social work) is fall-start only.
Ready to start your MSW Application? Check out our step-by-step application walkthrough.
If you are planning on applying to the MSW Program, we recommend you sign up for our prospective student list. The Office of Social Work Student Services will send you information via email about our program, application cycle, and important dates and deadlines.
Important Dates and Deadlines
The MSW Program at MSU Denver has one admissions cycle annually. The application typically opens in early September, with a priority consideration deadline in late October and a final deadline in mid-January.
The application for the 2021 Admissions Cycle opened on September 8, 2020.
The final application deadline for the 2021 Admissions Cycle is Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM (Mountain Time). All required materials must be submitted by this date and time for an application to be considered complete and eligible for review.
To be considered for priority admission, applicants must submit all required materials by Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 11:59 PM (Mountain Time).
Application processing takes 10-12 after the deadline to complete (not from application submission), and applicants are notified of their decision via email.
Priority Consideration Deadline Overview
Applicants who submitted all their materials by the priority consideration deadline have their application reviewed during the fall and early winter by the MSW Admission Committee. Those ranked in the very top of the pool of applicants are granted early admission to the program, granting them a head start on:
- Preparing to start the program
- Securing a field placement
- Registering for classes
All other applicants who submit their application by the priority consideration deadline have their application rolled forward and receive their admission notification after the final application deadline review period.
Advising and MSW Program Resources
The Office of Social Work Student Services is currently offering advising for prospective MSW Program students via phone or video chat. We are not able to hold advising appointments in person. To schedule an appointment to speak with an advisor and learn more about the MSW Program and admissions process, please call our Welcome Desk at 303-615-0555.
Have specific questions about the MSW Program or the admissions process? Email the Office of Social Work Student Services at email@example.com
The Office of Social Work Student Services is here to help you along the journey.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Advanced Standing ONLY - must hold a degree from a baccalaureate social work program accredited by CSWE (obtained between December 2014 and present)
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (applicants with a GPA below 3.0 may still apply for conditional acceptance consideration)
- Regular Program ONLY - Completion of Undergraduate Prerequisite Courses prior to the start of MSW coursework
- At least 3 credits of course work in social and behavioral sciences (sociology, psychology, economics, political science, cultural anthropology, etc.) centrally organized around contemporary multicultural or diversity issues.
- At least 3 credits of course work in social and behavioral science centrally organized around American Government (not U.S. history). This will typically be a political science course.
- At least 3 units of course work in human/general biology OR
At least 6 units of course work in natural and physical science (chemistry, physics, geology, etc.)
- At least 3 units of course work in basic statistics (not research methods)
- Submission of all required application materials
- Online MSU Denver Graduate Application (including $50 Application Fee)
- Professional History Form (embedded in the application, a professional resume is optional)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted electronically)
- Admissions Essay (prompts will be provided)
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Advanced Standing ONLY:
- Case Study (prompts will be provided)
- Petition for Advanced Standing (if undergraduate social work degree was conferred from December 2010 to November 2014)
If you are applying for the Regular Program and would like an evaluation of your transcripts done fo the MSW Program prerequisite requirements, you can request a review from the Office of Social Work Student Services. These reviews can be completed using either official or unofficial transcripts. If official transcripts are submitted, they will be retained to be used in the application process.
To request a prerequisite review, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, any former names, and the names of the schools you are submitting transcripts from. Instructions can be found below on submitting either official or unofficial transcripts for review. We will email you back once your evaluation is complete. The prerequisite review process may take up to 3-5 weeks from when we receive your transcripts.
We are currently requesting that all transcripts be sent electronically whenever possible as it is currently difficult for us to retrieve transcripts sent via mail. Please do not submit any transcripts to the MSU Denver Office of Admissions, as we will not be notified of their arrival.
How to Submit Transcripts for Review
- To submit official transcripts, the transcripts must be sent to us directly by the college or university. There are two ways to submit official transcripts to our office:
- Have your official transcripts submitted electronically to email@example.com (preferred method). Note - do not select to have your transcripts sent to MSU Denver, as this will direct them to the undergraduate Office of Admissions
- Have your official transcripts mailed to:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Attn: Office of Social Work Student Services
PO Box 173362, Campus Box 70
Denver, CO 80217-3362
- To submit unofficial transcripts, please email your transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. This can be attached to your prerequisite review request email. To ensure we can review the unofficial transcripts, please make sure they show credits received, your GPA, and any degrees awarded.
Special Circumstances (international degrees, MSU Denver graduates, and previously submitted transcripts)
- If you received a degree while attending a college or university outside of the United States (not study abroad), you must have your transcripts evaluated by either Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES). We cannot accept un-evaluated transcripts for review or for admission to the MSW Program. Once your transcripts have been evaluated, you will have the official evaluation submitted directly from ECE or WES to the Office of Social Work Student Services. We do require that you submit a course-by-course evaluation. If you only attended a college or university outside of the United States for a study abroad experience, an ECE or WES evaluation is not required.
- If you obtained an undergraduate degree from MSU Denver, please email email@example.com with your full legal name and student ID number and we can pull your transcripts from our internal system. If you no longer remember your student ID number, please email us your name, any former names, and date of birth and we can look your information up.
- If you have previously submitted official transcripts to MSU Denver, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full legal name, any former names, student ID number (if known), and date of birth, and we will see if we can pull your transcripts from our internal system.
Readmission After Deferring Acceptance
Applicants who are accepted or accepted with requirements into the MSW Program may defer their start semester up to one academic year from the term that acceptance was originally offered. The full departmental application is not required, however students must submit the Readmission After Deferral form, which will be sent to them electronically by the Office of Social Work Student Services.
Applicants who defer their start semester will be held to the policies and curriculum of the later term in which they officially start the MSW Program. The deferral process is only valid for one academic year from the original acceptance semester.