Office of the Registrar
National Standardized Exams
You may earn college credit through subject-specific testing upon receiving a satisfactory score:
- College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- DSST (formerly DANTES)
- Advanced Placement (AP) - For current high school students.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) - For current high school students.
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) consist of a series of national standardized examinations taken through College Board. They are designed to assess non-accredited college-level knowledge in several subject areas and are evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE). Students are advised to check with their major departments on specific General Studies requirements that may not be met through the use of CLEP examinations. MSU Denver's Testing Center provides CLEP proctoring services.
STEP ONE: DETERMINE WHICH CLEP EXAM FITS YOUR NEEDS
STEP TWO: PREPARE FOR YOUR EXAM AND PURCHASE A CLEP VOUCHER
- The College Board provides free resources to prepare for the exam.
- Purchase a test voucher from CLEP's website. Select MSU Denver as a score reporting location.
STEP THREE: TAKE YOUR CLEP EXAM AT MSU DENVER'S TESTING CENTER
- Once you have a purchased test voucher, contact Testing Services to setup an exam appointment.
- Be sure to bring the following to your CLEP appointment:
- A printed copy of the CLEP test voucher
- A valid, government issued photo ID such as driver's license or passport.
- A $35.00 seat fee (subject to change). The seat fee is due at the time of your CLEP appointment, payable in cash, MC, Visa, or Discover.
MSU Denver awards credit for Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES) Subject Standardized Tests (DSST). Credit may be awarded if the DSST score is at the American Council on Education (ACE) minimum and if the appropriate MSU Denver Academic Department's approve the credit(s).
STEP ONE: REVIEW MSU DENVER'S DSST POLICY AND DETERMINE WHICH DSST EXAM FITS YOUR NEEDS
- Meet with your Academic Advisor or with Associate Registrar of Graduation and Transfer Evaluation, Connie Sanders.
STEP TWO: PREPARE FOR YOUR EXAM AND CHOOSE A TEST CENTER
- DSST provides free resources to prepare for the exam.
- Schedule a DSST Exam. The test fee starts at $80 per exam (this fee does not include any administrative costs the testing site may require).
STEP THREE: SUBMIT DSST EXAM FOR EVALUATION
Please submit to the following address:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Attention: Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 16
Denver, CO 80217-3362
To request a copy of your DSST scores, visit: http://getcollegecredit.com/contact/.
If you have satisfactorily performed in special, college-level courses while in high school, and passed the appropriate Advanced Placement (AP) examinations conducted by College Board, then you may have official scores submitted directly to the Office of Admissions. This Office, in consultation with the appropriate department chair, determines the amount and nature of credit and/or advanced placement granted.
If you have successfully completed an IB Diploma Program and the IB examinations, then you are granted guaranteed admission to MSU Denver and are eligible to receive credit and advanced placement standing.
To receive credit, a student must receive at least a score of four (4) on each IB examination. Official scores should be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions from the IB organization.