Office of the Registrar
Departmental Credit by Exam
Credit through departmental examination is based on knowledge equivalent to a regular course offered by MSU Denver. We offer credit by examinations on a case-by-case basis for a variety of subjects including Business, Health Care Management, and Restaurant Management. Departmental Exams are similar to final exams for college courses.
Students must meet all of the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled in good standing within a degree or certificate program.
- If registered for a course for which this course is a prerequisite, the exam must be completed within the first three weeks of the semester.
- No previous collegiate enrollment for a similar course
- Not completed or been enrolled in a more advanced course unless the course is a designated gtPathways course. This restriction includes courses designated at a higher level (i.e. 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 within the same subject prefix (e.g. HIS, ENG)).
Contact Brandy Schooler for further eligibility questions.
1) Meet with Prior Learning Specialist to determine eligibility.
2) Complete the Credit by Examination form (be sure to review the policy and procedures on the first page prior to seeking approval).
3) Upon review, Prior Learning Specialist will provide initial signature on form.
4) Student must secure additional approval from the appropriate instructor, department chair, and dean.
5) Student will provide approved form to the Cashier's Office and arrange for payment ($122 per course; fees are subject to change).
6) Proof of payment must be sent to the appropriate department.
7) Department will make testing arrangements with the Testing Center.
8) Department will grade the test(s) and the result(s) are sent to the Office of the Registrar for processing.