Office of the Registrar
International Student Support
International Student Support serves international students studying on an ‘F’ visa. While our main purpose is to ensure that you are able to maintain your legal status while studying at MSU Denver, we are also here to support your personal, academic, and career goals. Review our informational flowcharts below and contact us for an appointment to discuss more information.
It is our mission to create a meaningful experience for international students through cultural exchange, retention-based programming, and holistic support for students’ educational and cultural needs. ISS provides advising on regulations to maintain status, internships, employment options, academics, and personal matters to help international students reach their personal, academic, and professional objectives. In engaging our international community, we also strive to give our domestic population of students the opportunity to develop their own interpersonal cultural competencies by exposing them to other worldviews in an effort to break down barriers and inherent prejudices. Ultimately, the objective is to increase respect and awareness between cultures, providing tools for both domestic and international students to compete in our global society.
Announcements and News
The Department of Homeland Security proposed a rule on Friday, Sept. 25, 2020, that would eliminate Duration of Status (D/S) for F-1 students, J-1 exchange visitors, and F-2/J-2 dependents. This proposed rule will proceed through the standard public notice and comment procedures before a final rule is published, which currently does not have an effective date.
This is a summary of what this rule could mean for affected students if it were enacted:
- F-1 and J-1 visa holders can remain in status until the end date posted on their Forms I-20 or DS-2019 (end date is often determined by the expected graduation date or program completion date on a student-by-student basis). Affected students would be allowed a four-year admission period unless the student or scholar is subject to a limited two-year admission period.
- Groups subject to the 2-year limit:
- Individuals who were born in or are citizens of countries on the State Sponsor of Terrorism List.
- Citizens of countries with a student and exchange visitor total overstay rate of greater than 10 percent as published in the DHS Entry/Exit Overstay report.
- Extension of Stay requests to the U.S. government would be required to extend the stay beyond the 2- or 4- year period. This includes continuing students, transfers, change of level, and applying for OPT.
- The F-1 grace period would be reduced from 60 days to 30.
Read more about the proposed rule.
MSU Denver will continue to analyze the proposal and communicate every important update and any changes made during its legislation – to determine how it will affect the University and our students. We pride ourselves on our diverse student body and will support our international students in every way possible.
Internship & Employment Options
Once an international student has completed at least one academic year at MSU Denver, they may be eligible to obtain a job or internship off-campus.
- Curricular Practical Training is authorized by the institution and approved by the Applied Learning Center and our office. This is an internship or job for one semester, as required by the degree plan.
- Optional Practical Training is off-campus work that may last up-to one-year either before completion of a degree or after. Any time used before the degree may count towards the time after. This option is approved by USCIS and takes several months for a decision.
- On-Campus Employment is also an option and only requires approval from the DSO. This option does not count against the 12-months of OPT or require a connection to any major.
Appointments & Document Pick-up/Submission:
Tuesday – Friday 7AM – 3PM
- Visit the MSU Denver homepage and click on 'Current Student' at the top, right-hand corner (this takes you to the Student Hub)
- Scroll down to the section titled 'Academic Support'
- Click 'Get Advising' and then click on 'Get Assistance'
- Select your needed support: 'Not seeing the office' and then choose 'Intl Student Support' and select the reason for appointment
- Select the location, 'Office of the Registrar'
- Select the staff you wish to meet with to view appointment availability
- Follow all the prompts until you get to the very end and confirm an appointment date and time
Jordan Student Success Building
Office of the Registrar
890 Auraria Parkway, Suite 160A
Denver, CO 80204
Coordinator of International Student Support: