Sport Management Major, B.A.
A degree in Sport Management from MSU Denver could be your path to an exciting job in the sport industry.
The B.A. in Sport Management focuses on the business and operations of sport. Our dynamic, applied, and career-focused education emphasizes the unique business skills and knowledge required for success in the sport industry. The COSMA-accredited curriculum develops graduates who are prepared to enter this competitive field.
Our faculty have established connections in the sport industry, both locally and nationwide, offering you hands-on projects in Sport Management classes, engagement with the local sports community, and the possibility of a challenging internship to jump start your career.
As an MSU Denver Sport Management student, you can choose from the following options:
Other academic options offered by the Department of Human Performance and Sport include:
- B.S. in Exercise Science
- B.S. in Athletic Training
- Individualized Degree in Dance
- Exercise Science Minor
- Coaching Minor
- Dance Minor
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
As a Sport Management graduate, you will be academically prepared and have real-world experience for prolific career options; including:
Professional and Collegiate Sport
- Marketing and Sponsorships
- Media Operations and Social Media
- Venue Management
- Fan Engagement
- Event Management
- Athletic Director (Collegiate)
- Compliance and Governance
- Sport Legal Liability and Risk Management
Community and Non-Profit Sport
- National Governing Bodies (Olympic Sports)
- Program Planning and Management
- Adaptive Sports
- Camps and clinics
- Event and Venue Management
- Sport for Development
- Athletic Director (High Schools)
Professor Colleen Colles has over 25 years of experience teaching in higher education and has also been a collegiate volleyball coach, athletic administrator and sport event manager. She has been heavily involved with the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation and has served on its Board of Commissioners for multiple terms. Much of her current research and professional development is focused on study abroad and international sport management as well as the quality and accreditation of sport management programs.
Assistant Professor Troy Morgan has 11 years of experience in athlete development and sport performance. After playing baseball in college, he coached baseball and was a recruiting coordinator at the high school and college levels before becoming a college football assistant and then a Major League Baseball scout. His research areas include non-cognitive aspects of sport performance, systems and structures of athlete development and Pan-American sport.
Before joining USA Track and Field, managing warehouse operations, inventory and shipments for the merchandise department, he completed internships with USA Rugby and the United States Olympic Committee. His diligence led him to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, South Korea.
- Brad Birling (MSU Denver, '18)
Merchandise Warehouse Coordinator, USATF
Alumni at Work
MSU Denver Sport Management graduates have been hired by the following organizations:
- Amanda Kubec - Mile High Collegiate Basketball League, Co-owner and President
- Dillon Barkman - Director of Facilities, Gold Crown Foundation
- Cody Wise - Media Relations Manager, Denver Nuggets
- Brad Biring - Merchandise Warehouse Coordinator, USA Track & Field
- Staci Vagher - Group Ticket Sales Coordinator, Denver Nuggets
- John Wermling - Manager of Ticket Sales and Services, El Paso USL
- Alyssa Svalberg - Project Manager, Special Olympics of Colorado
- Ashlynn Yeagle - Student Success Manager, University of New Mexico Athletics
- Sarah McManus - Development and Operations Coordinator, Play Rugby
- Tim Jenkins - Membership Services Executive, Kroenke Sports & Entertainment
- Thomas McCarty - Assistant Athletic Director, Bishop Machebeuf High School
- Josh Graetz - Head Coach of Tennis, MSU Denver Athletics
- Kyle Hiner - Inside Sales Representative, San Diego Padres
- Sarena Espinoza - 50/50 Raffle Coordinator, Colorado Rockies
- Zach Kinmartin - Program Director, First Tee of Green Valley Ranch
- Ryan Simmons - Account Manager, NCAA, SSB
- Tiffany Tallman - Director of Football Operations/Statistician, College of the Redwoods
- Hayley Fields - Account Executive, Cleveland Cavaliers
- Caitlin Monaghan - Inside Sales Representative, Denver Nuggets
- Steven Blevins - Media Relations Associate, Denver Nuggets
- Kevin Beck - Operations Manager, Phoenix Rising FC
- Sport Media Operations
- Sport Promotion
- Field Experience & Internship
- Professional and Career Development in Sport Management
- Sport Governance and Policy
- Sport in Society
- Legal Liability for Physical Educators, Coaches and Administrators
- Technology and Social Media in Sport Industry
Facilities and Resources
MSU Denver is located across the street from the Pepsi Center (home of the Nuggets, Avalanche and Mammoth), within walking distance of Broncos Field at Mile High (home of the Broncos and Outlaws) and Coors Field (home of the Rockies). It's a 15-minute drive to Dick's Sporting Goods Park (home of the Rapids) and an hour from the U.S. Olympic Training Center and multiple ski resorts. The proximity to professional sports venues, as well as the presence of numerous NCAA Division I and II universities and non-profit sport organizations along the front range, provide important networking and career-building opportunities.
The MSU Denver Sport Management program hosts a Women in Sport Management (WISM) leadership panel each February in conjunction with the National Girls and Women in Sport Day. The event features prominent local leaders and recent graduates from our program.
MSU Denver’s Sport Management degree program is one of only 48 such programs in the country and the only one in Colorado to be fully accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation.